Using custom (non-email) job notifications

12-23-2011 12:19 AM
KenToh
by
New Contributor
Hi,

I am currently evaluating the suitability of Workflow Manager for our project. From what I understand, job notifications via emails are automatically triggered at certain events throughout the lifecycle of a job (job created, assigned etc). I would like to be able to call an executable (we would like to use our own custom messaging service/app.. like JMS) when such events happen instead of using emails for notification. How, if possible, can this be done?

I am aware that such custom notifications can be achieved via a custom step (that launches our executable) in the workflow of the job, but non-email event-based notifications would fit our needs best.

Thanks,
Ken
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
Hi Ken,

I don't know of an out of the box way to do this.  If custom development is an option, then you might want to have a look at the C# samples shipped with Workflow Manager.  In "<Workflow Manager Install Dir>\Developer Kit\Samples\CustomNotifier", there's a notifier that interacts with a secure SMTP server, along with instructions about how to build and register this notifier as your system's notification mechanism.

Presumably, you could modify this example to send an SMS message, post something to a Sharepoint list, etc.

I hope that helps.

Brian D.
0 Kudos