Notification using Gmail

04-25-2011 09:35 AM
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Hi people,

Is it possible use Gmail to send notifications?

Thanks,
Keilla
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Hi,

I want send notifications by WMX.
I need to configure the smtp server with autentication, but in Workflow Manager System Setting I can't configure it.

Tks,
Keilla
0 Kudos
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I'd be curious to see if/how anyone else has done this, but I don't believe Workflow Manager's out-of-the-box notification mechanisms can be used with Gmail.  WMX notifications require access to an unsecured SMTP server -- presumably under your control on your internal network -- whereas Gmail introduces a host of authentication and encryption requirements.

Additionally, while not a technical issue, I suspect that such usage could violate Gmail's terms of use.  I'd recommend looking into this before proceeding too far down this path.

I hope this helps...

Brian D.
0 Kudos
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Thanks Brian.

Really in my internal network it works very well.

Keilla
0 Kudos
JeremyMirmelstein
Esri Contributor
Keilla,

It is also possible to send emails via python :).  You could always have your step run some python code that builds your notification emails for you.  There are some code samples floating around the web that show the process for sending emails using an authenticated SMTP such as Gmail or Hotmail.  Check out this example:

http://kutuma.blogspot.com/2007/08/sending-emails-via-gmail-with-python.html

Best,
Jeremy
0 Kudos
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Thanks Jeremy.

I´ll check it.

Regards,
Keilla
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
What about sending direct messages from twitter, perhaps that will fit your needs.  python-twitter is pretty good.  DM acts like an email message where only you can see the message.  Haven't tried it with wmx notifications, but do use it with other gis py management scripts.  Will have to try this out with WMX.
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Keilla,

There is a sample included at 10 SP2 that allows you use any SMTP server of your choice like GMAIL. You can find it at - <Install Location>\WMX\Developer Kit\Samples\CustomNotifier

Follow the instructions in the ReadMe.htm file to compile the code.
You will also need to open up the solution to change the connection parameters that are available there. This sample should at least get you going, but feel free to modify this to suit your needs.

This feature will be available Out of the Box at the next major release of ArcGIS Workflow Manager.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos