Does Workflow Manger have a limit on the number of steps

02-05-2024 12:08 PM
JaimeBastidas1
New Contributor

HI,

I am currently editing a diagram (Arcgis Enterprise 10.8.1 with the role workflow manager hosted). I am adding steps to it, and it allows me to save up to 105 steps. However, when I try to save the 106th step, it fails and specifies that there is an error. However, upon checking the error log in the server/manager workflow, there is no record of the error. Could it be a limitation on the number of steps allowed per diagram?

This is the message:

JaimeBastidas1_0-1707163453971.png

As i said, no record on the log, so I'm essentially flying blind.

Any help would be appreciate-

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @JaimeBastidas1 

We don't have a set number of steps on the Workflow Manager side. Can you try setting the server logs on the Workflow Manager server machine to debug, delete them all, and then get this error message again? And we can see if there is anything at that level to help troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
JaimeBastidas1
New Contributor

Thank you for respondingI configured the debug level before creating this post, and still no logs were recorded. I understand there is no step limit, How about the length? the request is 95.000 length when all the steps are retrieve from the server.

JaimeBastidas1_0-1707168244783.png

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Thanks @JaimeBastidas1 

The lack of logs is a bit confusing but my educated guess as to what is happening is that this is failing somewhere on the core ArcGIS Server side when we apply the edits made to your diagram to the feature service (and underlying database). 

Would it be possible to log a tech support case for this? I'd like them to work with you one on one to troubleshoot as it's possible there is a bug here. It's also possible there is a limitation being run into. But, either way, we'd like to get it sorted. 

Jonathan

0 Kudos
JaimeBastidas1
New Contributor

Hello,I have confirmed on 2 different servers that when the request reaches 100k, it fails and does not generate a log on the server.

JaimeBastidas1_0-1707399095812.png

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
ElizabethLRodriguez
Esri Contributor

Hi @JaimeBastidas1 

Starting from 10.9.1, the maximum HTTP POST size that can be submitted to ArcGIS Server can be updated in ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory by providing the system property "maxHttpPostSizeInBytes "

By default, this value is 10MB. ArcGIS Server administrator should understand the implication of increasing the max post size in relation to heap size settings and memory available on the system.

Can you try to set this parameter on server admin?

0 Kudos
JaimeBastidas1
New Contributor

OMG!! I'm sooo sorry. I dont know how i pressed 9 instead of 8. I have ArcGIS Enterpise 10.8.1. I'll check ArcGIS Server anyway to see what I can find.

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

@JaimeBastidas1 

It may also help to show the error message you see in the server logs. Based on your Postman error, you could actually be hitting a limit on the Workflow Manager side. So it would be good to know if you see this error below or an error for the applyEdits endpoint (which could be what @ElizabethLRodriguez mentioned).

Quick Edit - when we log that unexpected exception error message, we should always have a corresponding message in the server logs with more details. If you truly don't see one, that might merit some investigation as well.

JFarmer_0-1707432818462.png

0 Kudos
JaimeBastidas1
New Contributor

Thanks for anwsering. As i said to @ElizabethLRodriguez  I'm so sorry for giving you bad information. I have ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1. I'll triple check the log, and see what can I find.

0 Kudos