Clean up step: Version is currently in use

09-19-2014 08:41 AM
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I have a clean up step in one of my workflows and even though ArcMap is closed on the computer and no other users are connected to my data version I am getting the following error. When I look in ArcMap at the Version Manager I do not see any locks. Any idea what I am missing?  

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Heather,

The "version is currently in use" is a lock at the DBM/SDE level where something is created a lock on the database. The "operation is not allowed while editing" means that you have to explicitly stop an active session. If you have started an editing session, you will need to stop it where you are getting this error.

Thanks,

Tope

0 Kudos
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Tope,

Due to project deadlines I am going to have to drop the clean up step out of my workflows. Is there a way I can script and schedule the deletion of job Mxds and versions? I was hoping we could run a weekly clean up to remove these components related to closed jobs.

Thanks,

Heather

0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Heather,

One of our colleagues developed some tools that can help with managing large volumes of jobs.There are tools for deleting jobs, creating jobs, and other job management capabilities. I believe you can run these scripts as scheduled tasks using windows schedule.

Take a look at the tools here and see if it helps - http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=387ce7914cde4744b549b934959a0b5f

Thanks,

Tope

0 Kudos
SerjStol
New Contributor III

These are no longer accessible? We have issue with Deleting Versions. We can't use CleanUp step /v because a different user to who created the job will be deleting/finishing the job. The settings allow you to enter credentials of SDE user to delete the version, however we do not want these extra clicks and giving SDE credentials to all editor users. 

Therefore, we created a custom GP tool to Delete Versions and configured it using ExecuteGP step, however, sometimes this step executes twice by the WFM, with 5s gap, and the return code is -1, even though the version is infact deleted by the second run, but the user is the stuck in a loop of trying to Delete the Version but is not aware that it was deleted already. Any ideas why is this happening? I appreciate this product is no longer supported but there is limited information online so I am asking... Thanks

0 Kudos