Assign step to user - soap api

09-26-2011 04:46 AM
AlaaB__Rasheed
New Contributor
Hello,
I am working currently on a silverlight application that uses Workflow manager soap web service to communicate. I found a method that assign job to user but I could not find anything to assign a step ! Note that assigning step is valid in the workflow manager itself. Any body can help me with that ?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesVillanueva
New Contributor III
I am interested in seeing this type of example as well. It would be nice to see it in the server version as well as the desktop.
0 Kudos
AlaaB__Rasheed
New Contributor
Also I would like to know if log in functionality is available because I have noticed that authentication is based only on the user name ?!
0 Kudos
RaghavendraSunku
New Contributor III
Good catch! Yes, we are missing SOAP and REST services to assign a step. We will include these services in out 10.1 release.

About authentication, ArcGIS Server provides several ways to secure your services (including Workflow Manager services). You can enable token based authentication, et cetera. As a result, Workflow Manager itself does not need to provide any login or authentication mechanism, because you can just make use of the ArcGIS Server level authentication.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Raghu
0 Kudos
AlaaB__Rasheed
New Contributor
Thank you for your kind replay.

I have noticed that if the job is assigned to user than that user can mark the current step as done, so we can change the job assignment to the user whose responsible for current step
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Thank you for your kind replay.

I have noticed that if the job is assigned to user than that user can mark the current step as done, so we can change the job assignment to the user whose responsible for current step

In addition to what was initially posted, the step assignment is mostly useful to you when configuring the workflow so that when a step in your workflow is reached the job is automatically assigned to that user. The workflow can only be executed by the person the job is assigned to at all times.
0 Kudos
AjaySisodia2
New Contributor
In addition to what was initially posted, the step assignment is mostly useful to you when configuring the workflow so that when a step in your workflow is reached the job is automatically assigned to that user. The workflow can only be executed by the person the job is assigned to at all times.

I am using 10.1 and wmxlib-2.5-2012-05-05.swc, and do not find any method to re-assign the step. This functionality is critical to support the workflow logic and maintain the right history of the job, as the right person in the group to take ownership and run the step.

Am I missing anything? any help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos