Web Appbuilder "Error performing query operation"

Jump to solution
11-03-2015 08:14 AM
MatissValdmanis1
New Contributor III

I have a Webapp (WAB 1.2 Developer's Edition on my own computer with the layers hosted through ArcGIS Online) that uses the Attribute Table.

It won't load attribute table data, giving me an "Error performing query operation" error after about 30 seconds or so as well as occasionally being slow to load the data itself. Is there a way to get this error to not come up when using the Attribute Table?

It seems like the spatial data itself is having a problem loading - the data is published as a service on in-house servers. The web map loads fairly quickly on ArcGIS Online (including viewing the Attribute Table in the AGOL map).

attributeTableErrorPerfomingQueryOp.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatissValdmanis1
New Contributor III

I have found a few reasons for the error. Primarily it has to do with the fact the feature class is too large and complex.

When you open the attribute table for the layer from the Layer List widget, the Attribute Table widget calls the 'Shape' field, calling all the vertices' coordinates (even though you cannot see that data in the table). I confirmed this when going to the feature's REST endpoint in a browser and performing a simple query operation there - it bogged down because it was calling the feature's geometry (e.g.: its Shape field). If 'feature geometry' was disabled during the query, the query results would show up almost instantly.

The reason the Attribute Table calls the Shape field is so that it can use the 'Zoom To' functionality. If you turn off the Shape field in your mxd and then publish the feature, the spatial features still show up and the Attribute Table widget works fine, but you will not have the 'Zoom To' functionality.

I found some work arounds:

• In Web Appbuilder, edit the Attribute Table widget and select the table which as the "Error performing query operation" error and have it set to 'Show' - this seemed to solve the error, however you cannot turn off that table's tab in the Attribute Table widget. This is the solution I used.
  • Simplify the layer's geometry and re-publish your map service (this may create topology errors - gaps and overlaps), as well as creating a dataset that may be too coarse.
  • Reproject the feature to Web Mercator and republish (may create measurement errors) - this speeds up the App in general.
  • A bug has been found in Web Appbuilder 1.2 - the Attribute Table widget's layer field schemas are defined by how you have configured each layer's popup: Only those fields visible in the popup will be visible in the Attribute Table widget. Any layers with popups enabled and configured did not seem to have the "Error performing query operation" error. I didn't use this solution as the layer could not have popups for my application.
  • Our map service was hosted on in-house servers using ArcGIS Server 10.1. It was suggested that increasing the SOC Heap Size and AppServer Heap Size would increase the data serving capabilities of the map service - thus making it is easier for the Web App's Attribute Table widget to call the feature's Shape field geometries (vertices).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MatissValdmanis1
New Contributor III

I have found a few reasons for the error. Primarily it has to do with the fact the feature class is too large and complex.

When you open the attribute table for the layer from the Layer List widget, the Attribute Table widget calls the 'Shape' field, calling all the vertices' coordinates (even though you cannot see that data in the table). I confirmed this when going to the feature's REST endpoint in a browser and performing a simple query operation there - it bogged down because it was calling the feature's geometry (e.g.: its Shape field). If 'feature geometry' was disabled during the query, the query results would show up almost instantly.

The reason the Attribute Table calls the Shape field is so that it can use the 'Zoom To' functionality. If you turn off the Shape field in your mxd and then publish the feature, the spatial features still show up and the Attribute Table widget works fine, but you will not have the 'Zoom To' functionality.

I found some work arounds:

• In Web Appbuilder, edit the Attribute Table widget and select the table which as the "Error performing query operation" error and have it set to 'Show' - this seemed to solve the error, however you cannot turn off that table's tab in the Attribute Table widget. This is the solution I used.
  • Simplify the layer's geometry and re-publish your map service (this may create topology errors - gaps and overlaps), as well as creating a dataset that may be too coarse.
  • Reproject the feature to Web Mercator and republish (may create measurement errors) - this speeds up the App in general.
  • A bug has been found in Web Appbuilder 1.2 - the Attribute Table widget's layer field schemas are defined by how you have configured each layer's popup: Only those fields visible in the popup will be visible in the Attribute Table widget. Any layers with popups enabled and configured did not seem to have the "Error performing query operation" error. I didn't use this solution as the layer could not have popups for my application.
  • Our map service was hosted on in-house servers using ArcGIS Server 10.1. It was suggested that increasing the SOC Heap Size and AppServer Heap Size would increase the data serving capabilities of the map service - thus making it is easier for the Web App's Attribute Table widget to call the feature's Shape field geometries (vertices).