web app builder developer application once deployed and added as An Application, what is the best way to update?

Jump to solution
01-29-2018 01:27 PM
PhilBeilin1
Occasional Contributor

I created an application using Web AppBuilder Developer's Edition. The app was deployed onto the companies web server (SDE) and then added to AGOL using the Create + -> An Application.

What is the best way to update the application in the future? I will be leaving this application behind and want to know the best workflow to leave in my documentation for the people responsible for updating it. 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Phil,

In that case then all the updates to the apps configuration will happen manually (directly editing the json files) on the web server. The other option is for them to have WAB Dev and import the app to make changes.

PhilBeilin1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Robert,

again I apologize for misstating the nature of the server. 

0 Kudos
StevenE
New Contributor III

Hi Robert, 

When you say to import the app into WAB Dev to make changes, is this possible to do with apps that have been created using WAB Dev, extracted from a zip and placed on the server, and have been added to a federated Portal? 

I have an app that I only get the options to 'view details' or 'view application' while in Portal, and also I am not able to import the app back into WAB Dev to edit. I have the web app that I configured in WAB Dev, but it obviously doesn't update the downloaded and imported app now under a URL alias.

Is there a workflow that allows one to edit the web app of an app imported into the server from WAB Dev that doesn't call for directly editing the JSON? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steven,

I am not aware of a workflow for your situation then.

0 Kudos
StevenE
New Contributor III

Robert,

Thank you for the quick reply.

This statement is confusing me: "The other option is for them to have WAB Dev and import the app to make changes." Does this statement only apply if the app was deployed on the server and then added to ArcGIS Online?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I am using the free version of WAB Dev, so maybe you are meaning that with one of the paid tiers one can import the deployed app back into WAB Dev and edit the JSON using the developer tools not available on the free version? 

Thanks again,

Steven

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steven,

That suggestion is for when people started with WAB Dev downloaded and deployed to their own web server and then want to update the app. It is suppose to be possible to zip the site and import it back into WAB Dev to make your changes, but this would only need to be considered if you did not still have that app in your WAB dev already so you could just make changes there.

0 Kudos
StevenE
New Contributor III

Robert, 

For example, I created a web app using WAB Dev called "ex" for example. This web app was at the URL: (https://server.domain.com:3344/webappbuilder/apps/5.)  After configuration, I extracted the zipped file named "ex" onto the arcgis server, gave it the URL alias of "DevelopTest" and added the app to Portal. Now the URL is: (https://server.domain.com/DevelopTest). The app named "DevelopTest" cannot be added back into WAB Dev, and cannot be edited in Portal either. The app "ex" is still located in the WAB Dev and can be edited there, but the changes do not reflect the DevelopTest app. 

I attempted to add the zipped folder "ex" from the app back into WAB Dev to try to edit, but it simply made a copy of the "ex" app. 

What is the simplest option to update/edit the widget and web app configurations for the "DevelopTest" app that will show up live on the URL? I know I'm misunderstanding a step or two in the workflow, as I know others have to update deployed web apps regularly. 

Again, thank you for your help, and I apologize for my confusion. 

Steven

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steven,

So when you say 

I extracted the zipped file named "ex" onto the arcgis server

That just means that you added it your Web Server as an application right? If that is the case then you have deployed your app to web server. So to update this app you have two options.

1. Make your changes back in WAB Dev and re-download and re-deploy to your web server.
  2. Or you make manual changes to the files on your web server (like changing the widget json file or something).

If Your Portal is just referencing your app then your Portal should now reflect your changes.

StevenE
New Contributor III

Robert, 

Yes, I added the "ex" application to the web server. I think you've cleared things up for me. I was unsure if it would cause an error if I re-downloaded the app after editing in WAB Dev and overwrote the existing application files on the web server with the updated files. 

Thank you for all your responses, they've been a big help.

Steven

0 Kudos
StevenE
New Contributor III

Robert, 

Sorry to bother you again. I have a question about re-deploying an app to web server after updating.  I added a layer to the web map that is in the web app using Portal, updated a few widgets using the WAB Dev, and downloaded the updated zipped file. After unzipping the file, I overwrote the existing web app on the web server with the updated folders. I shouldn't have attempted to overwrite the entire app, but nonetheless after the app folders were overwritten and I refreshed the application in IIS, the app will no longer display in the browser and I get multiple errors in the Developer tools. 

Is this not the proper way to re-deploy an updated app on the web server? The updated app and its folders are the same, so I assumed this would be the proper way to get the server to reference the updated app.

Thanks, 

Steven

0 Kudos