Ways to custom build dynamic pop-ups for search tool within a Web-App

08-19-2021 08:05 AM
MityV758
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to create a web app that lets users search for financial incentives based on their location. There are different incentives based on the location. I have a feature layer of zones(polygons) that defines the type/amount of incentive. The web app has a search bar that lets users type in their addresses. My goal is to take the address string entered by the user and create a spatial join workflow with the zones feature layer and gives dynamic pop-ups to the user based on their location within a specific zone. 

The WebApp Builder won't let me code the search widget. I am fairly new to ArcGIS world. How should I proceed?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Mithil,

It sounds like your trying to combine attributes from multiple feature layers into a single pop-up display. You should be able to do this with arcade, the following article maybe helpful.  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/analytics/use-arcade-geometry-functions/

Good Luck

MityV758
New Contributor II

Hi @RyanBohan ,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have one feature layer of polygons (each polygon is a separate zone and each zone has a specific incentive condition), each polygon containing different proportions of zip codes. The user input would be an address string. The end goal is to geocode the address string in real-time and see if it falls within a zone. 

0 Kudos
MityV758
New Contributor II

Also, the address attribute is not a hosted feature layer. It's user-specific.

0 Kudos
RyanBohan

You can use the search widget with the default Esri world locator to allow the user to input their address and then zoom to that area.  They would then need to click on the polygon at there address (yes, its annoying to have the extra click) 

Then you can have a single pop-up do all the intersections for any intersecting underlining layers. 

Or if there is only one layer, and not multiple you could also label the zones on the map to show the financial incentives.

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson

Hi @MityV758 , I agree with @RyanBohan  and his suggestion will give you the greatest flexibility in the long run. You could also consider the newish "Zone Lookup" Instant App if you're using ArcGIS Online. 

Create app >> Instant Apps

BrittanyBurson_0-1629387350987.png

RPGIS
by

There are a couple of things you can try:

1. Create a custom search widget or geoprocessing tool that would allow for users to see the popup of the underlying zone in which their address falls in. This option would be the most difficult to set up and is perhaps not the most feasible either.
  2. Add addresses to the zone layer and set up the search for users addresses. Much easier than the first option and it will give you what you are looking for.
  3. Create a relationship between the zones and the address points. This would allow for users to still search by their address and it will provide information with a link relating to the zone that it belongs to.

Aside from these options, there isn't much that I can think of that will provide you with what you are looking for.

0 Kudos