Smart editor: Can I choose buttons instead of drop-down list?

10-28-2021 06:02 AM
Sil_
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am testing out the Smart editor widget to crowd-source data. We believe most users will use our web app on a mobile device, but when we test it on a phone or tablet the keyboard automatically pops up when we try to select one of the options from the drop-down list. This blocks half the screen and often hides the part of the form that we're trying to fill out, and we're afraid some users will give up at this point.

Is there a way to avoid this? Or better, a way to show the options as buttons instead of a drop-down list?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello @Sil_ 

I think maybe the reason the keyboard pops up when you go to that field is because you have it configured as a text type field? Or another type that requires input.  If you wish to program a drop-down list, you have to add a domain to your database from where your feature is being published.  Then populate that field with the domain list.  Not sure if you are using ArcMap or ArcPro, a file geodatabase or a versioned geodatabase, but below is a link to how to accomplish adding a domain list to a field.  Hope this helps!

https://communityhub.esriuk.com/technicalsupport/2013/8/22/how-to-create-drop-down-menus-for-populat... 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Sil_
by
New Contributor III

Hi and thank you for your quick reply.

I forgot to specify that I have set domains for the fields in ArcGIS Pro. All the (relevant) fields are text fields. The drop-down does appear with the options that are set in the domains, but the keyboard automatically pops up and often hides the drop-down. I have to click on the hide keyboard-button to get back to the drop-down. 

Is there a setting that allows for manual text input in addition to domains?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@Sil_ 

Not sure about the addition of manual text input.  Here is another article I found.  Look at #4.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/create-apps/widget-smart-editor.htm 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Sil_ ,

Regarding the keyboard displaying when selecting from a domain dropdown, this is due to the search capability. For example, in the screen capture below, I can type to search a value from the domain values list. This is valuable if a long list of domains is provided so a user can type to quickly find the value. Perhaps your users can also use that search capability to find the value they are looking for rather than scroll through the list? I do understand, of course, that it's only valuable if they know what they are looking for...
Unfortunately, there is no way to customize this dropdown.

SE_domains.jpg

I was wondering if perhaps you would consider using Survey123 to crowdsource data instead? The survey mobile interface may be easier to use for your users.

0 Kudos
Sil_
by
New Contributor III

Hi and thank you for the reply. It's useful to know the explanation. For our purpose there are only a couple of options so the search function will not save so much time, and our users will not know exactly what the options will be until they see them. 

We actually started out with Survey 123, but are trying Smart editor as an alternative because the map in Survey 123 (on mobile devices) proved to be less intuitive for our test users (they were confused about the lat/long boxes and how to get back to the survey from the map). But the other functionality in Survey 123 is so good so it might be the best option.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Sil_ ,

One more option that may be considered is using both the Map widget and the Edit widget together in an Experience Builder application. This would still provide an intuitive map for the users, along with the ability to create a "form" experience by grouping fields and adding field and group descriptions in the Edit widget.

AlixVezina_0-1635460219568.png

This video demonstrates the new Edit widget: https://youtu.be/BLjwvTDnLlA?t=115

It is also shown in this blog: What's New in ArcGIS Experience Builder (September 2021) (esri.com)

Keep in mind that the widget is still in beta which means there could be some breaking changes in the next releases.

Experience Builder also allows you to configure your app for a mobile experience. For example below, without going into all the configuration details, I've recorded creating an application with the Edit widget and using it on mobile.

Sil_
by
New Contributor III

Thank you @AlixVezina for another good solution suggestion.

I have actually tried the new Edit widget in Experience builder, but the feedback from testers were that they did not understand the words "add feature", or add "geo-objekt" as it says in the norwegian version, which most of our users will see.

But the Edit widget solution comes close to what we are looking for, as does Survey 123 also, we now need to continue testing and exploring.

We have also tried configuring the Crowdsource reporter, but the fixed field structure is also a challenge.

Thanks again!