Screening Widget Units

Jump to solution
12-05-2017 03:24 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

Is there a way to change the units in the Screening widget? We can get it to use metric, but it uses square km for area, which is not a unit we would use - in the UK we are more likely to use hectares or square metres

Unfortunately, we don't currently have developer edition for AGOL (mainly as we are unclear on the most secure place to install it!)

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark -- 

This is a great question that we received several times after the Screening widget was initially released, so with the ArcGIS Online update last week, we expanded the list of unit options available.

Now, the following options are available: 

• Feet / Square Feet
  • Miles / Acres
  • Meters / Square Meters
  • Kilometers / Square Kilometers
  • Kilometers / Hectares

Here's what the configuration panel looks like where the default units are set:

Configure analysis units 

And here's where the user can change the analysis units at run time if needed:

Change unit setting

This update will be available in the next release of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition.  

With the current version, it is possible to set the default units to Metric (km / sq km) in the configuration panel. 

Hope this helps,

jess

View solution in original post

7 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It looks like you can't set the default unit for this widget (or I did not find it in the configuration). However, before printing the report you can define it. By default it shows:

If I click on "Standard Units" it will show "Metric Units" and area is showed in acres:

The resulting report will use acres:

Derek Law‌; is it possible to configure the widget in such a way that it defaults to metric units?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mark,

The recommendation is that you install WAB Dev on a workstation or laptop that is not running Windows Server but does have IIS enabled. Then when you have your app configured and ready to deploy you download the app from inside WAB Dev and deploy the app to your production web server. If you get WAB Dev then I can walk you through the code changes to make to have metric by default.

MarkCooper5

Thanks - interesting that it shouldn't be on a box running windows server. We are using it for portal and it is on our Portal server and appears to run ok.

I was thinking we should install it on our webserver in the DMZ so that it was not on our corporate network (which is where the app would be hosted). Would there be any security risk installing in on a desktop machine on the network, or should it be on a standalone machine?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mark,

I did not say it could not run on server it is just you should not run it on server in my opinion. WAB Dev is a application for producing apps that will be deployed on your web server. It would be like installing visual studio on your server because the app you will make in VS will be put on the server. No there is no known security risks installing on a desktop machine / workstation on the network (this is where most people have it installed).

0 Kudos
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark -- 

This is a great question that we received several times after the Screening widget was initially released, so with the ArcGIS Online update last week, we expanded the list of unit options available.

Now, the following options are available: 

• Feet / Square Feet
  • Miles / Acres
  • Meters / Square Meters
  • Kilometers / Square Kilometers
  • Kilometers / Hectares

Here's what the configuration panel looks like where the default units are set:

Configure analysis units 

And here's where the user can change the analysis units at run time if needed:

Change unit setting

This update will be available in the next release of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition.  

With the current version, it is possible to set the default units to Metric (km / sq km) in the configuration panel. 

Hope this helps,

jess

CharlesBailey3

Why are the distance/area units necessarily tied together that way? What we need is feet/acres and I'm sure that isn't an uncommon request. Also, when will this functionality be incorporated into the developer version? Thanks, cob

0 Kudos
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi cob -- 

The measurement units being tied together is tied to the original requirements for this project.  This widget is an evolution of an on-premise JavaScript application that was used to deliver the capability pre-2017. I'll make note of your request to separate the units so it can be evaluated with other customer requests as we plan for future releases. 

The dev edition update is planned for mid-month. 

jess