Questions about deploying an app from WAB

Jump to solution
11-13-2018 06:55 AM
Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

Hello, all. 

I believe I need help filling some gaps in my understanding, as I thought I was following a fairly straight-forward work-flow, but after spending several hours over a few days, I am stuck.

Is it possible to download a very simple map viewer app built with the WAB from either AGOL or an on-premise Portal and deploy it to a local web server? If so, what are the steps required to allow it to run using only on-premise Portal resources?

We want to deploy a very simple map viewer app built with a publicly accessible map service to our local web server. I have tried building the app in the WAB in AGOL and I have tried it with our on-premise Portal, but I cannot get the app to work after it is downloaded. Our Portal and ArcGIS server are on the same server. The ArcGIS server has not been federated with the Portal. We are using Portal-tier authentication. The web map and the layer are publicly shared.

I have followed this workflow before in earlier versions of Portal, but used a downloaded version of the DEV WAB.  Do I need to download the WAB and use it to create an app?

I have been able to download a viewer app that continues to use AGOL, but would like to remove the reliance on AGOL services and maps.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help/pointers.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dixie,

If the web map that the app uses is not publicly accessible or your Portal does not allow anonymous access then you can get the credential challenge. You can get past this by setting up a Proxy that store the Portal credentials on your web server.

GitHub - Esri/resource-proxy: Proxy files for DotNet, Java and PHP. 

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2015/10/28/setting-up-a-proxy-with-web-appb... 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dixie,

Is it possible to download a very simple map viewer app built with the WAB from either AGOL or an on-premise Portal and deploy it to a local web server?

Yes

If so, what are the steps required to allow it to run using only on-premise Portal resources?

Follow the instructions here: Download the app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Robert.

Thanks for the response.  A couple follow-ups, if I may.

So, if I understand you correctly, you have to download WAB in order to deploy an app to a local server?

Looking at the guidance, it mentions that the app has to be registered with AGOL or an on-premise Portal, if it references non-public items.  Then, in a note block it states that the app still needs access to the web map.  This is very confusing to me.  Do you still need to register the app if the layer and web map are publicly accessible on the on-premise Portal?

Thanks again for your time and help. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dixie,

So, if I understand you correctly, you have to download WAB in order to deploy an app to a local server?

No. You have download the app from AGOL or Portal. The app will be a JS website that can be hosted on your own web server.

Do you still need to register the app if the layer and web map are publicly accessible on the on-premise Portal?

No.

0 Kudos
Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

So, no modifications are necessary?

I have done this and for the app downloaded from AGOL there are no issues.  However,  I am being challenged for authentication with the one I downloaded from my on-premise Portal.  The Portal is set up for Portal-tier authentication and we are using a web-adaptor that is publicly accessible.  Is there a way for me to test if permissions are the issue, for either the Portal or the AGS server?

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dixie,

If the web map that the app uses is not publicly accessible or your Portal does not allow anonymous access then you can get the credential challenge. You can get past this by setting up a Proxy that store the Portal credentials on your web server.

GitHub - Esri/resource-proxy: Proxy files for DotNet, Java and PHP. 

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2015/10/28/setting-up-a-proxy-with-web-appb... 

Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for your help!

I found I had to recreate the web map because it seemed to retain earlier Portal settings, but after that I could access the site with no authentication challenge.

Thanks for your time and expertise!

0 Kudos