Public Notification Widget Error - Auto-Selects Adjacent Parcels?

04-16-2019 06:15 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

I am using the public notification widget in the non-developer edition Web AppBuilder with my tax parcel polygon feature service layer.  I have it setup to use the select tool to click on a parcel, then you can enable the check box to apply a 500 ft buffer.  The problem I am having, is when I click on a parcel using the Select tool, it will often select the parcel I clicked on, but it will also select one or more adjacent parcels as well (even though I only clicked once inside the subject parcel).  So when I apply the 500 foot buffer for the public notification, it goes off the outside edge of all the adjacent parcels, not the subject parcel I clicked on.  I have tried checking and un-checking every possible option in the Public Notification Widget setup and nothing seems to fix this behavior.

The puzzling part, is sometimes I click on a parcel, and just selects the parcel like it should, other times it included one, two, three, or all adjacent parcels in the selection.  So it seems somewhat random.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior or have a work-around?

Screenshot attached -  I hit default "Select button" (annotation 1), then click once inside a parcel (annotation 2), and the result is it selected 4 of the 5 adjacent parcels in addition to the subject parcel.

Thanks for your help.

15 Replies
MichelleD
New Contributor III

I am having the exact same issue described above - select one or multiple parcels and unwanted adjacent parcels are selected as well.  The selected parcels show in cyan and the unwanted selected parcels are blue, and both the wanted and unwanted parcels are used to create the buffer.  However, I am using the WAB developer edition, so it is happening in both versions.

Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Dan Allen‌ and Michelle Debyah‌, We came across this same issue. We think we figured out the issue and it lies within the javascipt for the Public Notification widget. We are utilizing this in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 and when you go to: <install directory>ArcGIS\Portal\apps\webappviewer\widgets\PublicNotification and edit line 2046 of the javascript code in the Widget.js to be:

_addTolerance: function (a) {
var e = 2.54 * this.map.getScale() / 9600;
return w.buffer(a, .01 * e, "meters")‍‍‍

It made it so that parcels that were not clicked were not selected in our case. I would suggest exploring there.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
MichelleD
New Contributor III

Greg Mattis, thank you for the info on the work around.  I am using the WAB developer edition, and the Widget.js file only has about 1000 lines.  Would you be willing to share a copy of your Widget.js file or a larger section of it so that I can put your edit into context and try to see where I would fit it into the developer edition?

0 Kudos
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michelle,

Yes I can share the full Widget.js file with you. If you want to email me I will respond back with the file. My email is greg.mattis@visalia.city

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
Lake_Country_GIS
Occasional Contributor

Hi there. Did you ever find a workaround for this? My widget file only has 1076 line in it as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark, do you still have the issue of auto selecting neighboring parcels? We fixed it in late last year and the fix should be available in WAB Dev Edition 2.14. Are you are using WAB 2.14 dev edition or later?

Thanks 

Aziza

0 Kudos
Lake_Country_GIS
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aziza - I'm on WAB 2.9. Do you reckon upgrading to the latest version is likely to break my application? 

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Mark,

Your app should not break but just to be safe, try the online version of the widget first and see if that fixes your problem, then you will be more confident to try the latest WAB dev edition.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other question.

Best wishes,

Aziza

0 Kudos
Lake_Country_GIS
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aziza,

So I installed the WAB 2.15 dev version. Then, ran the upgrade for my app. So, then I re-launched WAB 2.15 and added and added/configured a new Public Notification widget but the problem still happens (more than one parcel gets selected). Can you confirm this indeed is fixes in WAB 2.15?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

0 Kudos