Popups Not Opening in Chrome When WAB App Embedded in Iframe

Jump to solution
03-26-2021 06:35 AM
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I have a WAB app that I built using the developer edition version 2.13.  I've been working on the app for about a year now and we recently noticed that the feature popups no longer open in the app we have embedded it in.  The app is embedded through an iFrame.  Our organization supports IE, Edge and Chrome internally and everything works fine with the microsoft browsers but no click events are triggered in chrome.  It's odd though because the double click event on the map still works with the zoom functionality.  I also created a test app where I embedded the wab app.  I placed copies of the test app on our primary dz web server and also on our internal web box.  The popups work on the internal box in chrome as expected.  The popups only render in the dz server when the test app is accessed over http - https does not work.  Our chrome software recently got updated to version 89.0.4389.90.  I reverted my chrome back to version 84 the other day and everything began to work again as expected.  A nightly routine updated my chrome overnight back to version 89.x and the popups stopped working.  The popup issue appears to effect all our portal apps and maps.

So the issue appears to be related to our domain and browser.  Has anybody ran into similar issues with WAB apps or Portal maps?  The iFrame code is shown below.  

<iframe scrolling="no" id="iframePage" style="height: 650px; width: 100%; border: 1px solid rgb(0,0,0);" src="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I was able to resolve the issue by upgrading to WAB 2.19.  The popups now work properly in iFrames.  The issue appeared to effect all our web maps (Portal 10.7.1) and all our custom WAB apps (2.13).  

View solution in original post

14 Replies
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I was able to resolve the issue by upgrading to WAB 2.19.  The popups now work properly in iFrames.  The issue appeared to effect all our web maps (Portal 10.7.1) and all our custom WAB apps (2.13).  

IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

How do you think this would relate if we have an app built in the browser built-in version of WAB? I found this post because I have recently had complaints about a layer's popups not appearing in Chrome, on a WAB (built-in) app I created on our Portal (10.8). The service is a referenced map service sourced from our federated server. The only common denominators seem to be popups not consistently working for Chrome users on laptops or tablets, using a wifi network (both inside our org and outside customers). I've yet to experience the behavior myself from my own workstation.

0 Kudos
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

The issue we were seeing appeared to effect all our wab apps (custom and built-in) and portal web maps when embedded in iFrames.  However, the issue only appeared in Chrome and it was domain specific.  We have one server that sits in a dz and accepts requests from the public internet.  The other is only available internally.  I created a quick test app and placed iFrames in each that pointed at a portal app.  The popups showed on the internal box but not in the dz server.  The popups were working in Chrome before the recent updates Google posted.  

Our Portal is running at version 10.7.1.  The layers with the popups are map services.

I have Google Chrome on a personal machine that is running the same version as my organization.  The popups worked with WAB 2.13 on my personal machine.  I tried reverting my chrome version on my company machine and that worked until a nightly routine pushed me back to 89.x.  ESRI reported that they are getting a lot of calls in regards to chrome and they believe it has something to do with user profiles not being setup correctly.  The resolution we found involved updating our local wab app to version 2.19.  I understand that isn't really an option for larger orgs with many apps, so maybe you should start a case with ESRI.   

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for that feedback. Silly question: if my apps were built using the non-developers edition of WAB, then how do I update those? 

0 Kudos
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure that is possible since all that is handled during the portal upgrade process.  ESRI would obviously know more.  You might deploy the developer edition on your local machine and just upload the app to your server for hosting purposes.  The developer edition has the same ui as the built-in one packaged with portal but it offers more flexibility for customizations.

0 Kudos
Banff_GIS_Department
New Contributor III

I have the same problem - built-in WAB and not all users are suffering the no-popup situation. It only happens in Chrome (all seems to be on latest version 89.0.4389.90). I am using Portal 10.7.1, federated server.

0 Kudos
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I would contact esri tech support over chat and request a case if you have a maintenance agreement with them.  Our organization pushed chrome updates about a week ago and another esri thread mentions they think there is an issue with the chrome profiles.  Our issue had me very puzzled as the same source code worked from our internal domain but not from our public facing box.   

Banff_GIS_Department
New Contributor III

Thanks James - I have a case in and will update here if any solution is found. What was that other thread? Its puzzling for sure (and tricky for me because I do not have the problem!)

0 Kudos