Select to view content in your preferred language

Parcel drafter misclose measurement issue

02-15-2022 08:53 AM
Labels (1)
mohammed_raufshaikh
Emerging Contributor

Hello Friends,

I am looking at the Parcel drafter widget here https://statelocaltryit.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3788f989438241ba8a094ad67915... . I have a question regarding misclose bearing and distance calculations. In the below screen shot I draw a polygon with listed Bearing, length and radius, although the polygon doesn't appear to be close, misclose distance and bearing is displayed as 0.

mohammed_raufshaikh_0-1644943632633.png

where as in the below screen shot I draw a polygon with the listed measures, the polygon appears to be closed visually but it shows misclose distance and bearing > 0

mohammed_raufshaikh_1-1644943929692.png

Any clarification and help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rauf

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I get some really strange results in the Parcel Drafter when there are curves sometimes.

From what I can tell, the misclose seems to use the chord length when it calculates the misclose, regardless of whether you have your settings set to arc length.

jcarlson_0-1644949260984.png

jcarlson_1-1644949327733.png

Interestingly, if I look at that line when it completes, it shows a negative distance.

jcarlson_2-1644949365758.png

And trying to manually enter a negative distance:

jcarlson_3-1644949459049.png

I would suppose this to be a bug. Until an official fix is applied, you could just use the chord lengths, if you have them.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
mohammed_raufshaikh
Emerging Contributor

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your explanation. Is there any way we can reach out to Esri and bring this to their notice ?

Thanks,

Rauf

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'd just reach out to Support, and they can forward the issue to the relevant team.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
mohammed_raufshaikh
Emerging Contributor

Hi @jcarlson ,

I found another issue with the widget, wanted to check with you whether you have any idea about it?

If I use arc length I am seeing the parcel getting closed and have certain misclose bearing, distance values but when I enter equivalent chord length in chord length mode, the parcel is not getting closed and the misclose calculations are also different.

1. arc length = 98, radius=45, it is in arc length mode.

mohammed_raufshaikh_0-1645731195721.png

2. chord length = 79.75 (when arc length = 98), radius = 45, it is in chord length mode but you will see the misclose calculation is different and parcel not getting closed.

mohammed_raufshaikh_1-1645731658663.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Strange! I'm afraid I don't have any guesses on this, but have seen that kind of behavior in the past.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
dflinn
by
New Contributor

Hi Rauf,

Did you ever create the metes and bounds tool in the ArcGIS Javascript API? I am looking to do something similar and would like to hear your progress.

Thanks,

D Flinn 

0 Kudos
mohammed_raufshaikh
Emerging Contributor
Hi Flinn,

I created the tool. Esri team resolved the issue with their Traverse tool,
you can download the Traverse widget once you install the Webapp builder on
your machine and take a look at the code and take whatever pieces you need
from it and create a similar widget. You can take a look at the Esri
Traverse widget here
https://statelocaltryit.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3788f989438241ba8a094ad67915...

Thanks,
Rauf
0 Kudos
dflinn
by
New Contributor
That's great! Thank you very much. This helps a lot.

0 Kudos