Login Credentials required for shared view layer

08-23-2018 02:24 AM
D_Visca
New Contributor II

I built a Web App with a shared view layer based on a private hosted feature layer. But when I want to access the Web App I have to type in my login credentials. 

The WebApp, Web Map and the view layer are all shared publicly, there are no other layers. I activated the anonymous access in my organization settings. When I publicly share the original hosted feature then there are no credentials required. But based on my understanding of view layers this is exactly not how it is supposed to work. Does anyone have an idea where my problem is?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

D. Visca,

If any portion of the data the layer the web map or the app is NOT shared publicly then you will be required to login to the secured item.  

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

R. Visca,

If you are part of an organization and your ArcGIS Online URL contains the organization's name at the beginning, then it will always prompt you to log in. However, if you remove your organization's name and the .maps from the beginning of the URL, then it will be available to anyone without a log in prompt. For example if your organization's URL is xxxxx.maps.arcgis.com/apps/..... (where xxxxx is your company name), then simply remove the xxxxx.maps from the URL.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

0 Kudos
D_Visca
New Contributor II

Thank you for the responses. However, my problem is still unsolved. Is it necessary to publicly share the original feature layer even if I only use the view layer of the original feature layer in my web map? Because, the problem does not occur if the original layer is shared. But if this is necessary then the view layer feature is not very interesting to use.

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

I didn't read your question carefully enough the first time. I think Robert is correct: All parts of the app/map need to be publically shared. Since the Layer View only references the original layer, they both have to be publically shared. 

However, I see your frustration, because in the Layer View text box it explicitly says a layer view will "allow you to independently set how it’s shared with others". 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Guys, what that statement is referring to is the fact that you can create a view that is read-only or define who can edit a view.

The layer has to be accessible to the user using the view though.

Hosted feature layer views are ideal for helping you control access to the same hosted feature data; you can allow editing access to only those users who need it. You can make your hosted feature layer editable and share it with only those groups whose members need to edit the data. Then you can create hosted feature layer views from the hosted feature layer, don't enable editing on them, and share the views with more groups, the entire organization, or even the public without compromising your data.
0 Kudos
D_Visca
New Contributor II

So I can't have both an internal editable feature layer and a publicly shared read-only view? My hope was to share a view (which is not editable) and make the original layer accessible for editing purposes only for my organization. Otherwise, anyone could manipulate the original layer with ArcGIS Pro.

JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

D. Visca,

I have a similar situation to yours. I have a publically shared hoster layer that I don't want the public to edit. I was able to make a view of the layer, set it's share to public and reconfigure my map and app with that view. The original hosted layer was then set not to share publically. It all seems to work for me, the original hosted layer does not need to be public in order for the view to work publically.

If you like I can help test it. What's the URL of your app?

D_Visca
New Contributor II

With your information that it should work I made a new web map and web app. Now it is working and I don't know why. In the end, all the configurations and used layers are the same. Maybe there is some background information saved in the old web app which cause trouble. 

So, no need for further help. Thank you!

0 Kudos
JennieCatalano1
New Contributor III

I'm working with Portal 10.8.1 and am having the same issue.  We have a Feature Layer (hosted) set to private and it's View set to public. The app opens without prompt.  The App template is "Dashboard", and I confirmed no other layers were being referenced in the application (not for search widget, etc.). Very odd.

0 Kudos