In the Query widget can a user search for multiple returns without using defined entries

Jump to solution
12-20-2018 07:49 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Within the Query widget in Web App Builder you can set a filter to search for various data. If I have a series of keywords, is there any way to search for more than one entry, i.e. by separating by comma etc, rather than having to define all possible answers as a tick list? Because I have a varied dataset, although each feature has fewer than 10 keywords there are probably 100 odd variables, which is impractical to have as a dropdown. I figure it ought to be possible using the Multiple selection, but I only ever seem to be able to choose Multiple (Predefined). I've tried 'is' and 'contains', but without success.

In Google and other search engines you can search with multiple options, so I guess it ought to be possible, or is the background coding too complex?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sure. One thing to be aware of is that on Premise Portal is a couple of versions behind the AGOL WAB and WAB Dev version so you will have to make sure you get the appropriate version of the custom widget for the version of portal you are running. I have provided a link to the release info:

About release versions—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I.e if you install Portal 10.6.1 it only uses WAB version 2.8. So using custom widget that are developed for 2.9 or 2.10 could be an issue.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simon,

Currently the only option is to set the expression to "is any of" and then you have to check the items in the list that are the ones you want. In my eSearch widget you can configure a IN SQL query and just type the values with a comma separating then.

0 Kudos
rocioveloz
New Contributor III

Hi Mr Scheitlin.

when trying to configure the enhanced search so our users can search by choosing from a dropdown: i am trying to figure out how and where to type in those comma-separated-values you mention above....

Once i go to edit the expression in Update Expression Value, how can I get the search to list all the animal options on a dropdown? thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rocio,

When using the eSearch widget after it has been configured to use IN and value (not predefined, as that will just be a list to select from). Then you can type the comma seperated values in the textbox.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that. is your eSearch widget available somewhere?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simon,

Like all custom widget they can be found here:

Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets 

The eSearch specifically:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-1731-enhanced-search-widget-version-211-080116 

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Sorry to ask newbie questions, but having downloaded it, how do I add it? In Web App Builder there doesn't appear to be an option to search for alternative locations for widgets.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are you using AGOL, on premise Portal, or WAB Dev?

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

AGOL, though I am starting to look at Portal.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simon,

AGOL WAB apps do Not support custom widgets. Only on Premise Portal WAB and WAB Developer edition supports custom widgets.

0 Kudos