In builder mode, Graphics layer added with ids dont show graphics after making edits to widget

Jump to solution
04-20-2017 07:54 AM
SumitZ
by
New Contributor III

For e.g:

I have added graphics layer to show buffer from custom widget

this._bufferLayer = new GraphicsLayer({
"id": "bufferGraphicsLayer"
});
this.map.addLayer(this._bufferLayer);

Steps to reproduce:

1: Open app with widget configured in edit mode
2: Add Graphics to graphics layer

3: Open the widget configuration settings page
4: Click ok to save settings
5: Draw a new Graphics on the buffer layer and notice the graphics is not drawn

Where as, if we add graphics layer without id's and try the same steps this issues is not reproducible. This seems to be an issue with the reloading of the app in the builder mode after editing. Also i tried to access the  graphics layer in the postCreate method after aditing and that layer is already available in map.

So i think WAB - Builder mode is not removing the graphics layer after editing, which it should.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sumit,

Yes if you add a GL in your widget you should remove it in the destroy method (this is not a method that exists unless you specifically add it) of your widget. The WAB builder will not handle this automatically for you. I do this in most of my widgets.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sumit,

What error are present in your browsers web console after you see this issue?

So i think WAB - Builder mode is not removing the graphics layer after editing, which it should.

A GL is not remove from the map unless you have to to tell it to do so.

0 Kudos
SumitZ
by
New Contributor III

I don't see any error in console, but the graphics are not drawn on the layer.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sumit,

It is something in your code then as I add GLs in widgets all the time with id propeties.

0 Kudos
SumitZ
by
New Contributor III

Robert,

Attached is the demo sample.

1. Open WAB in edit mode (WAB in builder mode)

2. Open Demo Widget

3. Click on map to add graphics

4. now edit the demo widget settings

5. click ok to save 

6. Demo widget is open, now click on map to add graphics. Notice graphics are not visible on map.

- Now open widget.js and and comment line no 24, and perform the above mentioned steps again. Now issues is not reproducible.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sumit,

Your issue makes since seems how you are adding a GL in the startup function which will get fired again (possible multiple times) when you edit the widgets settings and thus adds multiple GLs with the same ID. you should really create the GL in the postCreate or check for the GLs existance before adding it.

0 Kudos
SumitZ
by
New Contributor III

Robert,

Although when i tried to add the layer from postCreate it is still reproducible. Yes I can check for the layer id exist in the map and remove it, but i was thinking it should be handled by the Builder when it is reloading the map after edit it should remove all the graphics layer form the map otherwise every widget adding graphics layer will face the same issue.

Thanks for your inputs.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sumit,

Yes if you add a GL in your widget you should remove it in the destroy method (this is not a method that exists unless you specifically add it) of your widget. The WAB builder will not handle this automatically for you. I do this in most of my widgets.