How to pass search query into ArcGIS Online url?

Jump to solution
04-20-2016 02:48 PM
jasonramsey1
New Contributor II

Hello I am attempting to add a form to an existing html that allows the user to type in a search term and query and existing ArcGIS Online map. For example, a person would enter a coordinate into the form such as:

submitCapture.PNG

The resulting url should be (unencoded) : www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=-112.111 33.3456

encoded it should look like: www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=-112.111%2033.3456

The problem is that because the parameter (find) is after the "?" the whitespace in the url is encoded with a "+" instead of "%20". The url becomes: www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=-112.111+33.3456

This causes  the feature search to search for : searchCapture.PNGwhich results in not finding the coordinate.

My question is how can I get a url form to pass the search query either unencoded, or having the whitespace encoded as "%20" instead of "+"? I am using the get method and have tried having a javascript function replace the whitespace with "%20", but the % symbol gets encoded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Jason

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
jasonramsey1
New Contributor II

Thanks Bill and Robert for your input so far. The following code almost works, but it somehow includes the file path to the html in the url passed to window.open. I am not sure what I need to do to correct it.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<script type="text/javascript">

function getURL(val){

base = 'www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=';

uri=base +val;

//location2 = encodeURI(uri);

window.open(uri);  

}

</script>

</head>

<body>

<form  id="form1" name="form1" method="get" onsubmit="getURL(form1.find.value)" >

<label>

<input type="text" name="find" />

</label>

<label>

<input type="submit" />

</label>

</form>

</body>

</html>

so if somebody enters 1616 W. Adams, Phoenix, AZ into the form, the url becomes:

file:///W:/GIS_Scratch/www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=1616%20W.%20Adams,%20Phoenix,%20AZ

instead of: www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=1616%20W.%20Adams,%20Phoenix,%20AZ

I am not sure what I need to do to correct it.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jason,

You just need to add http:// to the uri.

base = 'http://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?find=';