How do you get newly added fields to show up in the edit widget?

Jump to solution
02-09-2018 01:51 PM
deleted-user-qzyyiYme1rz9
New Contributor III

I recently added a few fields to a feature service and they show up correctly in pop-up in the map, however when I edit the settings for the edit widget web appbuilder the new attribute is not visible as an option for editable or viewable attributes. I have also tried completely deleting the edit widget, saving and re-adding it with no luck. The edit box is checked next to the new attributes in the pop-up configuration. I really need to make this new field editable via the edit widget in our app. Any ideas?

25 Replies
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

I think I am going to save a lot of lives here, because I have discovered a workaround that fixes the problem.

By using Livia suggestion and checking ArcGIS Online Assistant (which I suggest to use, is very powerful) I doscovered that the real problem is not in the editor nor the app, it is in the MAP!

If you open the map json and scroll to your layer information, you will discover the fields definitions, something like:

{
"fieldName": "NOTE_RISOLUZIONE",
"label": "NOTE_RISOLUZIONE",
"isEditable": true,
"tooltip": "",
"visible": true,
"stringFieldOption": "textarea",
"isEditableOnLayer": true
},

This definition is perfectly correct, but if you scroll to your NEWLY ADDED FIELDS

{
"fieldName": "CATEGORIA",
"label": "CATEGORIA",
"isEditable": false,
"visible": true,
"stringFieldOption": "textbox"
},

See something missing?

"isEditableOnLayer": true

This option is not getting added when you add new fields to a service, thus not working correctly in the Editor Widget

Add that option to true, save the json, open your WAB and shazam!, your newly added fields will be in the editor widget config window.

IMHO this is a BUG and should be addressed by ESRI

ScottEvans6
New Contributor III

Awesome! Thanks!

FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

You are Welcome! Please up-vote the answer if it was helpful solving the problem

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Ah, that is helpful to know that the JSON of the map rather than the app should be fixed! Thanks!

0 Kudos
yoannjaffrain
New Contributor

ok.... but ... naïve question : from Arcgis online, where do you get to see the json of your map??

0 Kudos
BrandonBoisvert
New Contributor III

I used the ArcGIS Online Assistant as recommended above... you can find that here: https://ago-assistant.esri.com/

You need to log into your account as prompted then at the top of the page there is an "I want to..." button, clicking that opens a drop down menu where you can select the option to view and item's JSON

BrandonBoisvert_0-1648669523200.png

Once you've selected that you can search for your map in your contents folders in blue on the left side of the page. Open the folder where the map is located and click on the item ID to open the JSON.

BrandonBoisvert_1-1648669955955.png

0 Kudos