How can I add a Buffer widget to my web app (built using web app builder)? (Note: Geoprocessing widget does not support ArcGIS Online Spatial Analysis Services)

Jump to solution
07-06-2015 09:22 AM
TaN
by
New Contributor II

I am creating a web app of all DC Public Schools and nearby green spaces (waterbodies, libraries, parks, etc) Please see: ArcGIS Web Application. Ideally, I would like to let teachers type in their school name and check off a buffer radius. The teacher would hit a "Search" button and  the web app would display the map- zoomed in on the school, with the desired buffer. Any thoughts on how to add a Buffer widget? *Would I need to build the widget using the Javascript API? Thank you so much for your help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

Based on your requirements you probably need to develop your own widget for WAB.

1. You would begin by getting the WAB Developer version.
  2. When you have the WABD (Web AppBuilder Developer) installed you will find a folder under widgets called samplewidgets. In that folder are sample to help you begin and a template.
  3. You can find more help getting started by referring to the online help: Create a custom in-panel widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developer...

There are some custom widgets out there that do buffering like my eSearch Enhanced Search Widget Version 1.1.9 - 7/2/15 but it is probably more complex then what you are needing.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

Based on your requirements you probably need to develop your own widget for WAB.

1. You would begin by getting the WAB Developer version.
  2. When you have the WABD (Web AppBuilder Developer) installed you will find a folder under widgets called samplewidgets. In that folder are sample to help you begin and a template.
  3. You can find more help getting started by referring to the online help: Create a custom in-panel widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developer...

There are some custom widgets out there that do buffering like my eSearch Enhanced Search Widget Version 1.1.9 - 7/2/15 but it is probably more complex then what you are needing.

TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

I followed your advice and I downloaded WAB for developers. I also downloaded Node.js. When I went to the "Create a custom in-panel widget" you included, I couldn't open the "Widget.js" file after creating a MyWidget folder. I got an error 800A138F. What should I do to resolve the error?

Thank you again!

Ta N.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

1. I have never seen an "error 800A138F" can you provide a screenshot of this error?
  2. Did you get WABD to run on your machine using the startup.bat?
0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

I was able to access the Widget.js file through Sublime Text. Thank you for your help! As for running WABD using startup.bat, I will try to do that when I have access to my work laptop again (which will be in two day's time). Thank you for fielding my questions thus far. May I contact you again when a need arises?

Thank you for your time and advice!

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

Sure ask away.

Glad to help. Now it is your turn to help the community by marking this question as answered. All you have to do is click the "Correct Answer" link (the one with the little green star) on the post that provided the answer for you. If the answer was not provided by one of the responders then you can mark any of the replies that you received as helpful by clicking on the "Actions" menu and choosing "Mark as Helpful"

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

I followed the instructions on the Create custom in-panel widget. And I was succeeding at first, but I did something that made everything crash and I don't have a clue as to how I made everything go awry. I just posted a question WebApp builder (basically everything) crashed. Please help!

If you could take a look at it, I would truly appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you so much!

TA

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

Instead of getting the error message, I am now getting a command prompt that opens up for one brief second (after I double-click on the Widget.js file) and then disappears. Do you have any suggestions on how to open the Widget.js file successfully?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

Do you have a program associated with .js files on your machine? If not then just open the file in Notepad. I do all my development using Adobe Brackets a free JS development IDE.

0 Kudos
DonitzaIvanovich
New Contributor

Ta N,

Were you able to build this buffer widget easily (or at all)?  I am trying to build a very similar model for teachers and students to fidn their home, click on it and add a set radius buffer around it. I wanted to see if it worked ok for you before I jumped in head first.  Thanks!

Donitza

0 Kudos