External GPS With Web AppBuilder

07-23-2020 09:08 AM
KeithGerhartz1
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to use and external GPS with Web AppBuilder Smart Editor. I am aware that WAB relies on HTML5 Geolocation as opposed to native apps that do not.

Bad Elf GPS receivers somehow automatically insert themselves to replace the on-board GPS on iPads. I need to know if there are any utilities that can be used to substitute another bluetooth GPS - in this case a Geneq SX Blue III

Any other approaches? Thanks people.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TheKenerson
Occasional Contributor

Yeah. Same question. How are people managing to connect to an external GPS instead of HTML 5 Geolocation in Web Apps?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @KeithGerhartz1 , 

In Smart Editor you can now use a My Location Coordinates attribute action to collect your current location information when collecting data: Smart Editor widget—ArcGIS Web AppBuilder | Documentation

If the My Location widget is also active in your application (and it will also work if the My Location widget is not active), it will use your browser's (device's) current location information.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm unclear on the answer. Is it yes, you can use an external GPS unit?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, if your external GPS is used to update your mobile device location, the Smart Editor will pickup that device location and can write it into a field if you setup a Coordinate Attribute Actions with My Location.
See: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-web-appbuilder-blog/the-smart-editor-widget-a-few-years-in-revi...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to capture the GNSS metadata coming from the antenna into already established GNSS metadata fields?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User Based on what you need I would recommend using Survey 123 or QuickCapture which will allow you to collect all this information along with the location from the GPS.

Go beyond point data in Survey123 (arcgis.com)
Use a high-accuracy receiver—ArcGIS QuickCapture | Documentation

0 Kudos