Does the Web AppBuilder support two side by side maps?

04-18-2016 11:44 PM
RobinKlaassen
New Contributor

We would like to use the Web AppBuilder (currently using v1.3, but we're in early stage so moving to 2.0 is also an option) to create an application that shows two different maps side by side, with some custom functionality to link places in both maps. It doesn't seem like this is natively supported however, so I was wondering if anyone has worked on something similar, and if the Web AppBuilder is the right tool for this job or if we have to move to another ArcGIS product.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Robin,

There is no Out of the Box solution for this in WAB. You would have to develop a custom theme for this.

0 Kudos
AndžejMiloš
New Contributor II

@Robin,

I'm new in theme developing and about to start to develop map comparison theme for WAB. Want to achieve something similar to this GitHub - Esri/Compare-Maps-Template: A configurable template that allows you to compare multiple web...

Did you start to work on it? Could you share some thoughts or maybe some code about this?

0 Kudos
AndžejMiloš
New Contributor II

Any tips for beginner about how to develop a theme with two maps side-by-side would be more than welcome.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Not quite two maps side-by-side, but you may want to look at Swipe Plus Widget Version 1.1.3 April 11, 2015 as an alternative.

AndžejMiloš
New Contributor II

Thank you Rebecca, I did not know about Plus version of Swipe Widget. But swipe is not what I'm looking for.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried using a template using ArcGIS Online and downloading it?   Download apps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

You can create custom apps that you deploy on your web server by downloading a ZIP file. The file contains all the files and instructions you need to customize and deploy the app on your web server.

Keep in mind that each configurable app offers different functionality, such as different layouts and color schemes, editing and identify tools, social media feeds, and side-by-side map viewers.

I have not tried this, but would probably start here.  Keep in mind that they are close to putting out a new version of the online WAB  and the developer edition usually follows a few weeks later...until it is released, versions may be incompatible.

and just in case you have seen it Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

0 Kudos
AndžejMiloš
New Contributor II

That would be a way to go if wanted to deploy an AOL template based webapp. As I mentioned before I want to use WAB. As far as I know I can not import AOL template to WAB or I am wrong?

0 Kudos
SethLewis1
Occasional Contributor III

I don't know if you're looking at developing/theming with 4.0 but here's some sample code that may provide you with guidance on syncing multiple views:

Synchronize MapView and SceneView | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.0

AndžejMiloš
New Contributor II

Thank you Seth. Synchronizing itself it is not a big deal and I have developed an application which synchronizes two side-by-side maps with ArcGIS API for JS 3.16.

What I do not know is how to move this synchronizing application to WAB. WAB has a bunch of config files and a one instance of map.

I think I need for this a theme with two instances of map, but now idea where to start to develop it.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos