Customized Webapp in different Portals

Jump to solution
09-08-2016 10:21 AM
SowjanyaSunkara3
New Contributor III

is it possible to port a Webapp  created using WAB ,from one Portal environment ( Test) to another (QA)?

I have a webapp (customized) from a TEST Portal that I want to import in a QA env and just switch the web maps. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sowjanya,

> Does this mean I have to keep recreating the same custom webapps for each envrionment?

I believe the answer is "yes" Just recreate the custom web app for the new portal.

> Is there a simpler way?

I don't believe so. After you copy over the web map and its associated data from the Test portal into the QA portal, I suppose you could try and edit the config.json file in the web app's installation directory and replace both the "portalURL" and "itemId" parameters with the new QA portal URL and new web map ID. However, I don't think this will make everything work, because it depends on which widgets you've configured in the web app and what they do. You may have to go into the config files for each widget and replace some item ID values to make them work properly. Not sure. Hence why I suspect it would be easier to recreate the web app.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Sowjanya,

It is possible. I believe there are 3 options:

1. Use ArcGIS Online Assistant tool

ArcGIS Online Assistant 

2. Use a python script to copy the web app from one Portal to another

Example: Copy content—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server 

3. Use the Admin Tools created by a business partner called GeoJob

Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online - Geo Jobe 

Hope this helps,

SowjanyaSunkara3
New Contributor III

Thanks dlaw-esristaff

I have used Geojobe to copy content over from one Portal to another. Can I do this for web apps customized with WebAppbuilder Developer?WAB developer only let me set one Portal URL on launch.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Sowjanya,

Importing web apps from Web AppBuilder Developer Edition into Portal for ArcGIS (e.g., so that they are hosted within Portal) is not a supported workflow.

Typically you would take the web apps from Developer Edition and host them on your own web server. You can reference them in Portal by simply adding them as items - which reference the web apps hosted on your own web server. The web apps reside outside of Portal for ArcGIS.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
SowjanyaSunkara3
New Contributor III

I understand the workflow.I will try to rephrase my question. 

We have customized apps created with WAB with webmaps from our Test Portal and hosted on IIS on a server. I want to switch the webmap for this customized app to a webmap in another Portal environment( QA) and host it on a QA IIS server. Can thsi be done?

0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Derek,

I am using Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 for our external facing Portal. I am trying to migrate/copy a web appbuilder app, web map and layers created in portal (internal) 10.5.1 to the external portal. Everything copied over OK. I used the online assistant tool to update the URL's and everything worked fine except for the web app's "data". I went in to update the JSON for the "data" portion/tab but it won't save the changes. any ideas/heard of this before?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Amy,

So you're trying to migrate a Web AppBuilder web app built in Portal 10.5.1 into a Portal instance at the 10.3.1 release, is that right? This workflow is NOT supported as you built the web app on a later release and you're trying to import/migrate it to an earlier release.

FYI: Portal 10.3.1 uses an earlier release of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript when compared to Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1 - and Web AppBuilder within Portal has different (less) functionality.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Sowjanya,

> I want to switch the webmap for this customized app to a webmap in another Portal environment( QA) and host it on a QA IIS server. Can this be done?

I just tested a workflow where I exported custom web app X from Web AppBuilder Developer Edition that was using a web map in portal A; signed out of portal A in Web AppBuilder Developer Edition. Copied the web map to portal B, then signed into portal B with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition and was not able to import the web app X to use portal B. It looks like you will have to re-create the custom web app to work with portal B.

Hope this helps,

SowjanyaSunkara3
New Contributor III

Thanks dlaw-esristaff‌ for testing. Thats what happened to me too. I wasnt able to import a custom webapp built for one Portal environment to another. 

Does this mean I have to keep recreating the same custom webapps for each envrionment? Is there a simpler way?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Sowjanya,

> Does this mean I have to keep recreating the same custom webapps for each envrionment?

I believe the answer is "yes" Just recreate the custom web app for the new portal.

> Is there a simpler way?

I don't believe so. After you copy over the web map and its associated data from the Test portal into the QA portal, I suppose you could try and edit the config.json file in the web app's installation directory and replace both the "portalURL" and "itemId" parameters with the new QA portal URL and new web map ID. However, I don't think this will make everything work, because it depends on which widgets you've configured in the web app and what they do. You may have to go into the config files for each widget and replace some item ID values to make them work properly. Not sure. Hence why I suspect it would be easier to recreate the web app.

Hope this helps,