Create off-panel widget to display information automatically after splash screen

Jump to solution
06-17-2016 10:45 AM
WilliamMiller4
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to show additional information after the user agrees to the terms & conditions on the splash screen. What ESRI or DOJO class (a dijit/Dialog perhaps?) should I use to display this information as an off-panel widget and how would I have it display automatically upon the close of the splash screen? Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
WilliamMiller4

Hi Robert,

I finally got back to this problem. Below is a picture of what I would like to accomplish, that is to display a TabContainer in the center of the browser. I have a working TabContainer using only dojo, but I'm not sure how to transition it to Web AppBuilder, especially how to center the container. Do I need to modify or create a layout in an existing theme (\client\stemapp\themes\FoldableTheme\layouts\default\config.json) or in a new theme? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

William

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I'm not using WebApp Builder but here's how I've accomplished something that I think looks similar. I have a separate JS file that constructs the dialog (see attached code) and the dialog is created/displayed on a button click that triggers the showHelp() function inside the JS file. I've also attached a screenshot of the dialog.

The code isn't pasting very well into the post (Thanks, GeoNet!) so I'm attaching it as a file.

mapHelpExample.jpg

WilliamMiller4

Thanks Steve! I'm looking at your code right now, and I'll let you know how it works on Monday.

By the way, if you want to add code in a GeoNet message, after clicking REPLY there is a link labeled Use advanced editor in the upper right corner of your reply message box (see image below).

If you click on that, you get a new screen and text field (see image below).

Once your code is in the text area, highlight it and go to the >>, select Syntax Highlighting, followed by the programing language you are using (see image below).

Below is an example of how it looks after the process is done.

Have a  great weekend!

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I did that but either my code was too much or something else because it appeared as though not all my code was present. I didn't want to risk posting partial code so I decided to just attach the file instead.  I have a lot of distain for GeoNet.

0 Kudos
WilliamMiller4

Hi Steve,

Could I have a look at your html for the widget?

Thanks,

William

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

It should be attached to one of my earlier responses in this thread. The file was mapHelp.JS

0 Kudos
WilliamMiller4

Okay. So all the html is generated programmatically in the JavaScript.

I got it working. How did you style the entire dialog box background light yellow and the content panes peach?

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Whoops, sorry- I forgot there's a little CSS modification for the background color and font boldening:

.claro .dijitDialogTitle {

font-weight: normal;

}

.claro .dijitDialogUnderlay {

background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #101010;

}

.dijitTab .tabLabel {

font-weight: bold;

}

.claro .dijitDialogPaneContent {

background: none repeat-x scroll left top #FFFFD4;

border-top: 1px solid #769DC0;

padding: 10px 8px;

position: relative;

}

(I'm using the default Dojo Claro theme..)

I think that's it but, if not, just some simple exploration of the relevant object using a browser's developer tools should guide you towards which CSS class name and object needs modification.

Mehretab

@ William Miller

Hi William  did you implement the code by associating it to already exiting widget or created a new widget for it and then make it to appear on startup and/or on click. It would be nice if you explain the process a bit. Infact I made it to run by  invoking the showHelp function from the splash widgets onOkClick but once I close it I can no more get it again unless I refresh the app again which is not a flexible way. Thanks @Steve Cole for shading light on an alterntive techick to adding tabs to the splash widget.

Cheers

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you haven;t looked Larry Stout​ 's custom widgets yet, might be worth a look.  He has a different job now so can't always get back on follow up questions, but he has all the code needed Larrys Custom WAB Widgets and More  and a live demo ArcGIS Web Application

This and many other custom widgets and WAB-Dev edition info can be found Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List