Change Application Owner

Jump to solution
09-02-2016 01:19 PM
AdamDrackley
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to change the owner of an application created in ArcGIS Web Appbuilder?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the late reply, I had to check into this further.

When you initially start Developer Edition, you sign into either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS with a named user account to access their web maps. New web apps created with Developer Edition are stored locally on the machine that Developer Edition is installed on and owned by the named user account used. At this time, there is no way to change the owner of the application in Web Appbuilder Developer Edition.

However, there is a workaround. For example, User1 creates web app A in Web Appbuilder Developer Edition and shares it with the ArcGIS Online organization. User2 (who is a member of the organization) could download web app A locally. Then User2 imports web app A into Developer Edition as web app B. In this way, you have effectively "changed the owner" of the web app, but now there are 2 separate apps: A and B. User1 then deletes web app A from Developer Edition.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Adam,

Yes this is possible. For Web AppBuilder embedded in ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS, you simply login as the web app item owner or Admin, go to the My Content page, select the web app item the item list, then click 'Change Owner' and select the new owner from the list of organization members.

FYI, help topic for another option:

Manage items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AdamDrackley

Hey Derek, thanks for the response.  I was referring to the ArcGIS Web Appbuilder (Developers Edition), actually; Not the Embedded versions for ArcGIS Online or Portal.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the late reply, I had to check into this further.

When you initially start Developer Edition, you sign into either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS with a named user account to access their web maps. New web apps created with Developer Edition are stored locally on the machine that Developer Edition is installed on and owned by the named user account used. At this time, there is no way to change the owner of the application in Web Appbuilder Developer Edition.

However, there is a workaround. For example, User1 creates web app A in Web Appbuilder Developer Edition and shares it with the ArcGIS Online organization. User2 (who is a member of the organization) could download web app A locally. Then User2 imports web app A into Developer Edition as web app B. In this way, you have effectively "changed the owner" of the web app, but now there are 2 separate apps: A and B. User1 then deletes web app A from Developer Edition.

Hope this helps,

AdamDrackley

This is what I ended up doing; Thanks for looking into it Derek!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adam, I went ahead and marked Derek's answer correct.  I'm not sure if you would get a better answer. Un-mark if you are still wanting to leave it open (and my apologies if that is the case).

0 Kudos
VanessaSimpson2
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

I am wondering how this would work if I am trying to migrate apps from one AGO Account to another. From what I have found, you can't change portals? BUt maybe you have a work around for this? I tried the suggestion above, but WAB Dev doesn't import the app in for me to then download. 

Background* our organization had two different AGO accounts, we recently entered into an ELA which means the users, content and apps all have to be migrated to the new ELA Account. I have been using the AGO Assistant to copy content over, however, when I try to import the apps that I have moved, I get an error saying you can't switch between portals or nothing happens at all even though it says the import is successful.  

Any feedback or ideas here would be appreciated. My plan for now is to create a "template" shell app on the new account and point to the migrated web maps.

Thank you in advance,

Vanessa

0 Kudos
Alexwang
Occasional Contributor II

it's possible at least for WAB 2.1. I went to \server\db and updated the creator for my app to a new ownership in the apps file. it worked. But I am wondering if there is more a supportive way of doing that like updating via a rest end-point?

0 Kudos
SéverineFINET
New Contributor

Hi,

The workaround described by Derek Law works fine.

With the WAB 2.7 Developer Edition, is there a better way to change the owner of an application ?

In the meantime, I have written a JS script to update the creator of some apps in the file \server\db\apps with mongodb.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Séverine,

There is still not built-in way to change the owner. So if you have successfully done this through editing the mongoDB then that is still your best bet beside the workaround Derek suggests.