ArcGIS Online vs Portal

Jump to solution
07-27-2016 09:04 AM
Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III

I have been using Web AppBuilder for almost a year now in Portal.  In the last few days, I went into our ArcGIS online account and decided to use Web AppBuilder there.  I noticed immediately that it was different, so I assumed the reason to be that I had not yet installed 10.4.1.  Yesterday I did that, and now my portal and server are on the latest version, and yet there are still quite a few differences.  Is the ArcGIS Portal Web AppBuilder version just behind the ArcGIS Online version?  Or have I not installed something that I should?  Here are a few screen shots, to show some of the differences...

In each pair of images, the first is from my portal and the second is from ArcGIS Online.  Note in the first pair that there is a "Zoom scale" function when configuring the "My Location" widget."  In the second pair of images note the much larger number of widgets available.  There are many other subtle differences, but you get the idea.  Portal version is behind the ArcGIS Online version.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Just to add onto Rebecca's post,

> Is the ArcGIS Portal Web AppBuilder version just behind the ArcGIS Online version?

Yes, please see this blog post for more info: Clarifying 3 questions about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

FYI, the latest Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS updates that are in ArcGIS Online will be available in Portal for ArcGIS 10.5 (scheduled for release at the end of this year/early next year).

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Yes, Online always gets updates first (and sometimes more often).  Then the Web AppBuilder developer edition (a few weeks or so after), then Portal.

I usually update the Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​ when I know about online and dev edition posts....I don't always know about the Portal releases, but Derek Law​ can probably give an update on the Portal release.

Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Rebecca.  Your answer was also correct, but I selected Derek's as the "Correct" answer because he had a link to an excellent blog post explaining the whole thing.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Just to add onto Rebecca's post,

> Is the ArcGIS Portal Web AppBuilder version just behind the ArcGIS Online version?

Yes, please see this blog post for more info: Clarifying 3 questions about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

FYI, the latest Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS updates that are in ArcGIS Online will be available in Portal for ArcGIS 10.5 (scheduled for release at the end of this year/early next year).

Hope this helps,