Select to view content in your preferred language

RSCHEITLIN PLEASE HELP  Esri Popups Not Working With Subtypes and Associated Domains

Jump to solution
04-17-2012 05:13 AM
KenCarrier
Deactivated User
Robert,

I have been trying to work with Esri on an issue you have already resolved in your widgets and popups. Using my data your widgets work flawlessly with showing my subtypes and domains. For some reason the same data will not work with Esri popups.

I am trying to understand why their popups do not work with subtypes and domains associated to the various subtypes. I called Tech Support and they said when they deleted my subtype field and recreated it without the domains, the subtype description came across in the popup. Before only the code would come across as an integer not the description.

Our system is too mature for me to be deleting subtypes and re-associating the various domains to the subtypes, more or less it would be a huge undertaking and we still would not be assured it would work.

Can you provide any insight into why your widgets and popups would work with my data when Esri's popups do not work with the same data?

I have been trying to escalate the issue and Esri is being helpful but my frustration comes from the fact that your stuff works and theirs does not.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ken,

So here is the fix for the popuprendererskin.

Add the attached file in the zip to your Flex Viewer project in the src\com\esri\viewer\skins directory.

Then add this to the default.css

esri|PopUpRenderer {     skin-class: ClassReference("com.esri.viewer.skins.PopUpRendererSkin_Subtypes"); }

I have my additions fully commented if you want to send this to tech support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ken,

There is a big difference between the esri popups and the popups that widgets show. The difference is that popups that widgets display pre-process the data and most widgets like mine and most of esri's have a function to return the subtype before the data is sent to the popup. Esri's popups work with the raw data from the featurelayer and then use some internal stuff to get something called formattedAttributes which normally is the fields with their domains and stuff resolved. I will play around with modifying the popuprendererskin and see what I can do.
0 Kudos
KenCarrier
Deactivated User
Robert,

Thank you so much, I am trying to go live and I am being told this is a possible deal breaker because we live off of subtypes and the associated domains.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ken,

So here is the fix for the popuprendererskin.

Add the attached file in the zip to your Flex Viewer project in the src\com\esri\viewer\skins directory.

Then add this to the default.css

esri|PopUpRenderer {     skin-class: ClassReference("com.esri.viewer.skins.PopUpRendererSkin_Subtypes"); }

I have my additions fully commented if you want to send this to tech support.
0 Kudos
KenCarrier
Deactivated User
Robert,

It worked like a charm, I cannot thank you enough!

I will definitely pass this to Support. I would like to see this come standard in future releases.

Will you be at the Esri UC this year? If so let me know and the drinks are on me.

carrierk@mcohio.org
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ken,

Glad it worked. I don't go to the UC anymore as the Dev Summit is more geared to my needs. I have been going to the Dev Summit since 2008 and it is just getting better and bigger every year.
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Honored Contributor
Hi Robert-
I am experincing the same issue with subtypes and popups but at version 3.0.  Because there are so many changes between 2.5 and 3.0, I was wondering if you know:

Has the popup  renderer mxml for veiwer 3.0 been incorporated into one of the managers?  I just can't seem to find where the popup render skin class is-
Thanks for your help
David Coley
Sarasota County GIS
Sarasota, FL
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
David,

Ther has been a lot of changes but the PopUpRendererSkin.mxml file is still part of the Flex API and not the viewer. So you have to Download the API and then find the PopUpRendererSkin.mxml in the arcgis_api_for_flex_3_0\ArcGIS_Flex\skins\src\com\esri\ags\skins folder and copy it to your project.

IF you make a new folder (preferably in Windows Explorer, not Flash Builder) "FlexViewer3.0\src\com\esri\ags\skins" and paste it into that folder (then you will not have to make an entry into the default.css).

If you do not pay attention to these instructions and paste the file into the FlexViewer3.0\src\com\esri\viewer\skins folder than you will have to add this line to the deault.css

esri|PopUpRenderer
{
    skin-class: ClassReference("com.esri.viewer.customskins.PopUpRendererSkin");
}
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Honored Contributor
Hey Thanks Robert, this has me in the right direction, and I can now see all of the changes between your PopUpRendereSkin_Subtypes and the PopUpRenderer at 3.0.  I have added the:
esri|PopUpRenderer
{
skin-class: ClassReference("com.esri.viewer.skins.PopUpRendererSkin_Subtypes");
}
to the default.css, I have included your additions, have set the proper name spaces, have the proper class imports and have re-compiled without error.  However, I am still not able to see my field values as defined in my description tag of my xml (in this case a landuse layer with 2 subtypes).  Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks Again-
David
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Honored Contributor
Hi Robert-
Thanks again, I'm all set.  After correcting some html, and following your:

"IF you make a new folder (preferably in Windows Explorer, not Flash Builder) "FlexViewer3.0\src\com\esri\ags\skins" and paste it into that folder (then you will not have to make an entry into the default.css)."

instructions all of my information is returning corrrectly.

David
Sarasota County GIS
0 Kudos