Select to view content in your preferred language

Metadata (and the TOC Widget)

05-27-2011 01:19 PM
JustinRobinson
New Contributor III
Hey all,

I was wonder how people out there are satisfying metadata requirements for their online maps?

I'm currently migrating an ArcIMS/IMF implementation to ArcServer and the Flex Viewer and I'm running into problems. In the IMS/IMF implementation clicking on the name of the layer would open up a new window with the metadata (or the sci. report that generated the data), this could also be achieved by an icon to the right of the layer name. Both were "simple" to implement, mostly due to IMF.

However, I'm now having difficulty figuring out how to implement something similar within the TOC Widget created by Robert (it is most excellent, many thanks Robert). I've contemplated trying to create an icon to the right--failing miserably, I'm not even exactly sure where to start with this beyond it being within TocItemRenderer.as.
I've also tried to make use of the doubleClick (onCheckBoxClick) that is detected for each item, and yet again fail to quite wrap my brain around it. Suffice to say, my level of AS3 programming ability and complete API knowledge seems to be somewhat limited.

In addition to this I've tried to figure out if it was possible to do in the PopUps, however <![CDATA[ is not supported in the <title>, so I can't make the title link to a URL. I could use <description>, however that would mean writing a custom <description> element for every single layer (when there are over 150). Time and time again I see people warning that editing the structure of the popUps to be extremely difficult.

There must be an elegant way to show metadata either through the TOC or through the PopUps.
Has anyone come up with a method to do this, or can anyone offer some suggestions in order to accomplish this?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
Yes!!! Way to go man.  You rock! 
Thanks so much!!!
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Robert is looks you you have a pointer in ResizeTitleWindowSkin.mxml to a png in one of your other widgets:

widgets/eSearch/assets/images/w_resize.png

In addition there an issue at line 233:
widgets.eSearch.WidgetCloseButtonSkin

No worries, but I though you would want to know.

fr

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Frank,

Thanks download is now fixed.
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
OOps one more:

In addition there an issue at line 233:
widgets.eSearch.WidgetCloseButtonSkin
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news.
Seems to be an issue with displaying type=feature for points.  No symbol on the legend for those.  Howevever, polygon and line seem to work fine for feature services.

Thanks again
fr
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

Please try out the latest version 2.3.6 and see if it resolves the  reported issues. If not keep the feedback coming and I will fix whatever  I can.
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Robert, thanks for the repost of the code.  I�??m seeing a couple different things, and if you know of a work around I�??m all ears.

1. I�??m still not seeing the legend for most points both in feature services and regular map services.  However with my group layers they are showing up.  So I�??m not sure if it is the type of point I�??m using or something else.  Some of them are very vanilla esri triangle stuff, others are more complex graphics.  However, neither seem to show.  I can point you at some of my services if you want to give it a shot.

2. There seems to be a lack of sync between the More�?� button and TOC.  See the graphic I�??ve uploaded

3. The Layer Visibility slider seems to be stuck to the left and not move or work.

On the other hand, the link to the metadata really works great!  I�??m doing some neat stuff with embedding html within the description and it works sweet in your tool.

Thanks again,
Frank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7236[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Frank,

1.  I would love to test your point map services to see what the issue is. You can post the address here or send them to me privately (I think you remember how to get in touch with me directly).

2. Are you meaning that you are turning off layers in the MapSwicherWidget and the change is not getting reflected in my TOC right? (you know you should not use both right?)

3. The layer visibility only works with the parent map services (remember individual layers in a map service can not have their opacity adjusted).
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
1.  I would love to test your point map services to see what the issue is.
     Fr: Feel free to bang on it, I just sent it to you.

2. Are you meaning that you are turning off layers in the MapSwicherWidget and the change is not getting reflected in my TOC right? (you know you should not use both right?)
   Fr:  Ok I will dissable the MapSwitcherWidget, and sorry I missed that... 

3. The layer visibility only works with the parent map services (remember individual layers in a map service can not have their opacity adjusted).
   Fr: Owe I see, you need to click on the parent and then move the slider...  That wasn't apparent to me as an end user, I wonder if you added a tip to that? 

Thanks again,
Fr
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Frank,

1. Thanks your services helped me find the error. It is fixed in version 2.3.7.

2. I now have the TOC responding to programmatic changes in visibleLayers. So if you make a change to the MapSwitcherWidget as far as turning on or off a sublayer of a map service my TOC updates to match but the MapSwitcherWidget does not do the same if you change a sublayer in my TOC.

3. There is a tooltip if you hover over the on the widget.
0 Kudos