Select to view content in your preferred language

Metadata (and the TOC Widget)

05-27-2011 01:19 PM
JustinRobinson
New Contributor III
Hey all,

I was wonder how people out there are satisfying metadata requirements for their online maps?

I'm currently migrating an ArcIMS/IMF implementation to ArcServer and the Flex Viewer and I'm running into problems. In the IMS/IMF implementation clicking on the name of the layer would open up a new window with the metadata (or the sci. report that generated the data), this could also be achieved by an icon to the right of the layer name. Both were "simple" to implement, mostly due to IMF.

However, I'm now having difficulty figuring out how to implement something similar within the TOC Widget created by Robert (it is most excellent, many thanks Robert). I've contemplated trying to create an icon to the right--failing miserably, I'm not even exactly sure where to start with this beyond it being within TocItemRenderer.as.
I've also tried to make use of the doubleClick (onCheckBoxClick) that is detected for each item, and yet again fail to quite wrap my brain around it. Suffice to say, my level of AS3 programming ability and complete API knowledge seems to be somewhat limited.

In addition to this I've tried to figure out if it was possible to do in the PopUps, however <![CDATA[ is not supported in the <title>, so I can't make the title link to a URL. I could use <description>, however that would mean writing a custom <description> element for every single layer (when there are over 150). Time and time again I see people warning that editing the structure of the popUps to be extremely difficult.

There must be an elegant way to show metadata either through the TOC or through the PopUps.
Has anyone come up with a method to do this, or can anyone offer some suggestions in order to accomplish this?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

Another Quality improvement release came out today.

Version 2.3.7.2 - 10 June, 2011
* Fixed ZoomToMakeVisible context menu when using cached/tiled basemaps.
* Feature layers now only have one checkbox at the parent map service that show
  Scale dependency and has context menus.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

New version available.

Version 2.3.8 - 11 June, 2011
* Fixed Horizontal and vertical scrolling issues.
* Enhanced layout of TOC swatches and checkboxes.
* Cleaned up lots of unused portions of the code.
* TOC Item label is gray when item is scale dependent.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

A new version is available

Version 2.3.8.5 - 1 July, 2011
* Added Ability to collapse legend symbology is more than one symbol is present for a layer
* Added ability to have all collapsible legend symbology collapsed at start up based on
  TOCWidget.xml setting.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

Another update is out

Version 2.3.8.6 - 6 July, 2011
* Added Ability to collapse ALL legend symbology
* Added new context menu for "expand all layers" and "collapse all layers"
* Changed the expand and contract icon for legends to the plus and minus (like in ArcMap).
0 Kudos
DavidCaussin
New Contributor III
Robert, I'm using the latest version downloadable at the gallery of your toc widget.

I have a problem with the metadata. I don't have any icon on the right of the layers and the "Show Detail) is only shown when i click on the first "plus".....

Normal, where must i write de metadata??? i don't use for the moment an SDE...

Any idea???

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
David,

Open the MXD that serves the map service and for each layer type metadata in the description field and/or add a copyright to the copyright field.
0 Kudos
DavidCaussin
New Contributor III
Thanks Robert, that was it.

Another question - Problem 🙂

When I type a description on multiple lines (using "enter")
The result in the metadata popup is shown on a single line 😞
Is it possible to modify this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
David,

I have not tested this my self but you could try <br /> or \n in the text.
0 Kudos
DavidCaussin
New Contributor III
It works with <br />

Thanks
0 Kudos