How to find the REST endpoint of another site?

02-14-2011 11:28 AM
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
Given the link here:
http://190.254.22.44/ssigl2.0/visor/galeria.req?mapaId=2&title=Mosaico Landsat

How can I find its REST endpoint to consume in my own map service. Any ideas?

They do have a WMS of this, but it is extremely slow, found here, and it is only avail on WGS84 and not in Web Aux Mercator:
Url: http://geoservice.igac.gov.co/WMSLandsat?
WMS Version: 1.1.1
Layers: 2
Formats: image/png,image/gif,image/png; mode=24bit,image/jpeg,image/wbmp,image/tiff,image/svg+xml
Abstract: SERVICIO DEL MOSAICO WMS LANDSAT DE COLOMBIA
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nathan,

Use a tool like fiddler...
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
It's also important to ask the author of the site, or at the very least check the metadata to make sure that they allow this use of the data. For example, since I work for a nonprofit our map services can't be used in a for-profit web map without getting specific permission. Some other groups have more restrictive licenses (where you can only access the data via a specific site), and even if they don't prevent you from working around them they should still be respected.
0 Kudos
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
It's also important to ask the author of the site, or at the very least check the metadata to make sure that they allow this use of the data. For example, since I work for a nonprofit our map services can't be used in a for-profit web map without getting specific permission. Some other groups have more restrictive licenses (where you can only access the data via a specific site), and even if they don't prevent you from working around them they should still be respected.

Thanks for noting the considerations required. The WMS is public, and is available to be consumed. The REST Endpoint of the same map service as ArcGIS REST is public as well, although the meta is not provided.

Robert - fiddler worked fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation.
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
Thanks for noting the considerations required. The WMS is public, and is available to be consumed. The REST Endpoint of the same map service as ArcGIS REST is public as well, although the meta is not provided.

Not to nitpick, but a service being public and available is not the same as it being legal to use. Google imagery is a great example, it is possible to use their services without the Google API but it violates the terms of service. It's important to check the copyright info on the REST page (if it exists), and if using WMS make sure the <AccessConstraints> tag doesn't list any restrictions.

In the case of the service listed below, no constraints or copyright or metadata is listed so it's safe to assume it's free to use (the burden is on the service provider to list any restrictions they wish to place on it). But in other cases (Google being the most common example) you can be asked to take down a web map, or even be threatened with a lawsuit for using a public service that has a license that doesn't permit your reuse.
0 Kudos