Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you refresh a kml layer in flex viewer

08-20-2013 06:43 AM
DanielBerry
New Contributor
I noticed that the arcgisportal kml utility has a "refresh=true" option that displays that it will "Force using fresh data and update cache". At work we deal with a lot of kml's that we need to include in our flex viewer, but I was not aware that the kml's were cached. This basically makes adding a network link displaying dynamic data worthless. How do I force a refresh with the arcgisportal?

The only kml layer options I see are the following:

disableclientcaching???If true, prevents the request from being loaded from the browser's cache. Default is 'false'. [Applies to types: dynamic, feature, image, wms, kml, and georss.]

serviceurl???Optional, URL to your own utility service for converting KML files to features. Requires Portal for ArcGIS. [Added in version 2.5]

Where is the option to refresh and not cache the layer?

Respectfully,
Dan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor II
Daniel,

The layer tag has an attribute called autorefresh, it says it only applies to layers of type dynamic, arcims, feature, or WMS. But I'm sure KML will be a subset of one of this types, probably feature.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#/Layer_tag_overview/01m30000000p...

Worth a try

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
DanielBerry
New Contributor
Anthony,

They appear to refresh, but the arcgisportal cached the original kml. I only stumbled across it when I created a new network link and placed the latitude and longitude backwards. After I fixed the error, the graphic locations did not change. I tried clearing the cache of the browser. In Flash Builder I ended up with the same result.

I wish there was more information regarding the kml utility and incorporating kml within the flex viewer.

Dan
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Version 3.5 was released today and includes the fix for this issue:
* Allow complete refreshing of KML and GeoRSS Layers.
0 Kudos