Select to view content in your preferred language

eSearch export to csv format

Jump to solution
08-18-2012 01:05 PM
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
Robert, I'm using your eSearch widget which is a great tool. I'm having some issues when I export out tables with cells that have long text strings (300-400 characters). The table that is exported has 5 fields, but whenever I do an export and open the csv file I notice that parts of the text in 3 of the fields are extracted and placed in a 6th field. Have you ever come across this? I can't find any direct correlation (i.e. after commas, after the 255th character, etc.).
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joe,

Well that make a lot of scene now... When it come to a CSV fields are separated by a comma and if the text in that field contains a comma than the field value has to be wrapped in double quotes to signify that commas inside the double quotes need to be ignored but the introduction of a double quote inside the text throws all this off.

Be sure to mark your post as answered.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joseph,

So please attach one of the exports with the issue for me to look at.
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
Thanks Robert. Like I said, the csv export generated an additional column and populated it with text from 3 other columns. I attached the export called "Selected Records.csv" and the way it should look called "Correct Format.xls". Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joseph,

I would like to have the csv file that is originally produced.
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
Sure, no problem Robert.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joseph,

Can you export it out as tab delimited and attach that as well?
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
See attached txt file. Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joseph,

So the tab delimited looks correct so it has something to do with the CSV format... Which datagrid are you exporting from the fixed or float? Does the data look correct in the datagrid before export?
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
I'm using the float datagrid. The results in the datagrid table look perfect. I attached the section of my XML code that pertains to the datagrid and a snapshot of what the datagrid looks like before I export it...
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
Robert, I removed the " character from my cells and replaced it with the word 'inch' and everything works now. Not sure why this was whacking it out, but I'm good on my end. As always thanks for all your help.

Joe
0 Kudos