Automation of data updates to web service

Jump to solution
04-07-2014 10:30 AM
MikeFrey
New Contributor
I'm curious what workflow people are using to update the data that they are using for web services. We have water outage data that needs to update twice daily. Has anyone been successful writing a script that will automate the update to the web service?
Thanks for any input
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GeorgeHaskett
Occasional Contributor III
Yes,

I use Python and the task scheduler to run various scripts ranging from once a day to every half hour.  I also use Python to force update my map services as well.

Is your data local or are you reaching out to the web for it?
Either way you can use python to do both.

In one example I am using python to copy a table view from a DB2 database and creating a feature class on the ArcGIS Server, then update the map services.  There are other scripts that then process other data against the newly created feature class as well on various time intervals depending upon the task.

In another example I use python to reach out and download csv files, kmls and zipped shapefiles from various urls and then process them against my own data, etc.

I tend to build a working model in the Model Builder environment, then once I am happy with it, I then rebuild it in python and create the scheduler for it.

What data type are you working with as far as the input source?

Haskett

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GeorgeHaskett
Yes,

I use Python and the task scheduler to run various scripts ranging from once a day to every half hour.  I also use Python to force update my map services as well.

Is your data local or are you reaching out to the web for it?
Either way you can use python to do both.

In one example I am using python to copy a table view from a DB2 database and creating a feature class on the ArcGIS Server, then update the map services.  There are other scripts that then process other data against the newly created feature class as well on various time intervals depending upon the task.

In another example I use python to reach out and download csv files, kmls and zipped shapefiles from various urls and then process them against my own data, etc.

I tend to build a working model in the Model Builder environment, then once I am happy with it, I then rebuild it in python and create the scheduler for it.

What data type are you working with as far as the input source?

Haskett
0 Kudos
MikeFrey
New Contributor
Hey George!! How are you? I'll hit you up on email
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
Great.  I thought that might be you.  Send me an email and I can help you out.

Haskett
0 Kudos