Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Flex Viewer (3.6) Tooltip Background Color I have a mapping application built using Flex Version 3.6 with same in-house modifications made in previous version 3.4. I built the viewer using Flash Builder 4.6. I have added several widgets ( Legend, A

Jump to solution
09-11-2014 07:59 AM
JorginaRoss
New Contributor II

I have a mapping application built using Flex Version 3.6 with same in-house modifications made in previous version 3.4. I built the viewer using Flash Builder 4.6. I have added several widgets ( Legend, Attribute Tables, Find a Lake, Lake Chemistry Data Statistics, Find Location, and About this Map) and they all function as they are supposed to.

The problem is the background color of the tooltips that appear when you hover over these widgets’ icons to close or to minimize them. The tooltips have a light yellow background color which presents a problem because the text color I use in the application is white. So the text inside the tooltip is barely legible. What controls that background color?

Also, the chart widget (Lake Chemistry Data Statistics) presents the same problem as the other widgets, with an additional problem: pale white background color in the results tooltip.  After you execute the widget creating the chart/graphic, then when you hover over each individual column to see the results, the tooltip background color is pale white. What controls that background color?

I did not have these problems when I was using Flex version 3.4 with some in-house modifications and built using Flash Builder 4.6. My objective using Flex version 3.6 is to keep the background color blue with white text which I had in all my applications when I was using Flex version 3.4. Any ideas?

Here is the link to the map application to see the issue I am talking about: https://kars.ku.edu/maps/testapp/.

I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Gina

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JorginaRoss
New Contributor II

Robert,

Your comments from September 12, 2014, lead me to update the API and this finally fixed the problem.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful comments.

Gina

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gina,

I would add the Sixth color property to your main config.xml It is covered in the documentation here:

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex - Setting styles for the Viewer

<colors>0xFFFFFF,0x023D9B,0x101010,0x000000,0xFFFFFF,0x023D9B</colors>

0 Kudos
JorginaRoss
New Contributor II

Robert,

This is an option I tried before I decided to post the thread. Changing the Sixth color does not make any difference.

Any other ideas?

I appreciate your prompt respond.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gina,

Well I just used your color schema numbers in a new FV 3.6 app and it did not have the issue you are seeing so it must mean that the UIManager or the default.css was modified by your developer.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gina,

In the UIManager.as if I change these lines then it affects the tooltips background color  and the about dialogs. The tooltips that come up for the widgets in the headercontrollerwidget are set to use contentBackgroundColor from the UIManager.as, so I would check the UIManager.as:

// Style mx|Alert

var cssStyleDeclaration:CSSStyleDeclaration = new CSSStyleDeclaration();

if (numberOfStyleColors > 4)

{

cssStyleDeclaration.setStyle("color", textColor);

cssStyleDeclaration.setStyle("backgroundColor", 0xff0000);//backgroundColor);

}

topLevelStyleManager.setStyleDeclaration("mx.controls.Alert", cssStyleDeclaration, false);

//Style Tooltip

var cssStyleDeclarationTooltip:CSSStyleDeclaration = topLevelStyleManager.getStyleDeclaration("mx.controls.ToolTip");

if (numberOfStyleColors > 4)

{

cssStyleDeclarationTooltip.setStyle("color", textColor);

cssStyleDeclarationTooltip.setStyle("backgroundColor", 0xff0000);//backgroundColor);

}

cssStyleDeclarationTooltip.setStyle("fontSize", fontSize);

cssStyleDeclarationTooltip.setStyle("fontFamily", mainFontFamily);

0 Kudos
JorginaRoss
New Contributor II

Robert,

I made the changes as suggested in your reply and it made no difference at all.  I still get the pale yellow background color and the pale white background color.

I would like to mention that a version of the viewer I am using that has the in-house modifications is located at: https://github.com/ksbiological/arcgis-viewer-flex

Thank you so much for your time.

Gina

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gina,

So once again I took the viewer from the GitHub link you provided and added your color scheme to the config.xml and updated the API to use 3.6 and it does not exhibit those color issues that you are having. So it has to be some code modification that you guys made that is causing the issue. It is hard for me to figure out where the change was made without seeing your custom viewers source code.

0 Kudos
JorginaRoss
New Contributor II

Robert,

Your comments from September 12, 2014, lead me to update the API and this finally fixed the problem.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful comments.

Gina

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jorgina,

Glad to help. Now it is your turn to help the community by marking this question as answered. All you have to do is click the "Correct Answer" link (the one with the little green star) on the post that provided the answer for you. If the answer was not provided by one of the responders then you can mark any of the replies that you received as helpful by clicking on the "Actions" menu and choosing "Mark as Helpful"