Vector Tile Layer Pop-ups

12-18-2018 09:44 AM
PaulLomas
New Contributor

I am trying to enable simple pop-ups on a vector tile I shared to AGOL from ArcGIS Pro.  I have selected the “highlight” fields for OBJECTID and 2 other fields I want in the popup but once I upload it to AGOL and add  tile layer to a web map the pop option still isn’t present.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!

Paul

13 Replies
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul, 

You aren't doing anything wrong, Popups on Vector tile are not supported in the ArcGIS online map viewer yet. It will be coming soon,  Here are some discussions regarding this support:

- Vector Tile Popups 
- Can you have attributes display for Vector Tiles? 

As the ArcGIS Pro documentation suggests  under Retain Relevant Attribution 

"To bring specific fields into the vector tiles, highlight them in the Fields view of the layer. Highlighting the ObjectID field adds feature-level identity to the vector tiles and allows for pop-ups to be viewed from the tiles themselves"

We have a recent enhancement that has asked for the Pro Documentation to note the online support until its functionality arrives.

That record is ENH-000119818. 

Please feel free to contact support to have your account attached to the record. 

Hope this helps

-Adam

WillWoodroof
New Contributor III

Hello @AdamEversole1

Are simple pop-ups now possible in AGOL Map Viewer? I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to publish Vector Tiles but I am not able to view pop-ups on my layers from the map from Pro once published to AGOL. I am trying to follow these directions  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/map-authoring/author-a-map-for-vector-tile-cre...

Am I looking at the right directions? I checked the "Highlight" option from the Fields Design View in Pro before publishing.   Anything else I need to be doing to get this to work?

Thanks,

Will

AdamEversoleAGOL
New Contributor

Hello Will,

As of today, the enhancements listed for this functionality (The ones referenced in this thread)  are still noted as in product plan, and have yet to be implemented.  

You can always check in with Esri Support to see the status of any enhancements or defects.

Hope this helps some.
Adam

0 Kudos
WillWoodroof
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response, @AdamEversoleAGOL .  What is the "Simple Pop Ups" as mentioned in this thread?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/services/use-vector-tiled-layers.htm

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi @WillWoodroof

Apologies for any confusion, let me clarify. If we are following the "Simple Pop Ups" workflow, we will be required to check the "Highlighted" fields from the "fields view" then "Save". 

AdamEversole1_0-1667254778148.png

With the map configured this way, both the resulting Vector tile layer (.vtpk) and/or Published Vector Tile Service Layers, will allow for the popups to be enabled in ArcGIS Pro. 

AdamEversole1_3-1667256467709.png

We are still looking forward to the ability to do this in the web-based Map Viewers in the future. 

0 Kudos
AaronBarkhurst1
New Contributor

Has there been any progress on this? I am having a REALLY hard time finding information on how to implement this and get it working using ArcGIS API for Javascript. I have been working with Mapbox GL JS and vector tiles for five or six years now but am working on a different project now that requires the ArcGIS API. I followed the procedure for bringing specific fields into the vector tiles but am unclear on how to access them via the API. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi Aaron 

From what I can see, The functionality to allow popups on Vector tile layers in AGOL is in Product plan, See the noted Geonet post and Enhancement as they might apply to your work in the API.
- https://community.esri.com/ideas/13121-web-layer-popups
- https://community.esri.com/thread/175141
- ENH-000095476 - Allow ArcGIS Online to Enable Pop-ups on a Vector Tile package published from ArcGIS Pro.

It might also be helpful to contact our support team and we can attach your account with the noted issue. 

0 Kudos
LancasterGIS
New Contributor III

If you are using just the api and not one of the GUI app builders, you can access and decode the tiles directly into json, then use this data for your popup or text element. You can use tilequery for example but there are other methods. If interested let me know and I'll post more details.

ChrisLandvogt
Esri Contributor

Hi @LancasterGIS - I would be interested to see some more details regarding your use of tilequery to achieve this functionality, if you're still willing to share it with our user community.

Regards, 

Chris

Esri Australia
0 Kudos