Where to begin?

07-08-2019 12:49 PM
ChaseHowse
New Contributor

I have been involved with GIS for over 20 year. I am now a GIS manager at a small water utility. We set up our GIS in an Enterprise SDE geodatabase in 2004-2006 using ESRI's then-current water utility schemas and a geometric network.

My sense is that i must begin by massaging our existing data, especially the numerous "connectivity lines" that exist throughout our GIS in the wMain feature class. 

We are currently on ArcMap 10.6.1. We have an AGOL organization. We have not installed or set up Portal as of yet. I have been experimenting, on a limited basis with ArcGIS Pro. Hearing that i cannot edit a geometric network in Pro is scaring me off that approach as far as trying to get comfortable with editing in Pro.

What tools or white papers do i need to look into to get on a path to convert to the Utility Network?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Probably not what the reps want to hear but you may consider staying with ArcMap.

the inability to edit in a geometric network is a real bugger with Pro. 

We are going let the utility network be out for awhile before plunging into it.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chase,

> What tools or white papers do i need to look into to get on a path to convert to the Utility Network?

Please take a look at this blog, Get started with the Water Distribution Utility Network: An Overview

There's also this whitepaper, Understanding the Utility Network: A Guide for Water Utilities

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos