Upstream trace with Barrier

Jump to solution
07-23-2019 02:23 AM
VikramAundhekar
New Contributor II

I am trying to perform Upstream trace on my Utility Network from Service Point, trace is running fine when there is no barrier placed in between but whenever i am placing barrier on any device then trace is showing error with the message "Subnetwork controller not defined". Please suggest the workaround as downstream trace without barrier is running perfectly.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Vikram -

Did you receive the following error?

Error 001797: No subnetwork controller was discovered.

If the starting point does not have traversability to the subnetwork controller the trace cannot be completed. 

The subnetwork controller is used to determine which direction from the starting point is upstream/downstream for the trace results.

Let me know if this page helps: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/utility-network/utility-network-trace-types.htm#ESRI_SEC... 

The upstream/downstream direction of a subnetwork is determined on the fly during a trace. This is done by discovering whether the domain network is source- or sink-based and by locating the subnetwork controllers. Upstream traces travel towards subnetwork controllers in source-based domain networks and away from subnetwork controllers in sink-based domain networks. Downstream traces travel away from subnetwork controllers in source-based domain networks and toward subnetwork controllers in sink-based domain networks.

Both of these trace types require a clean subnetwork. The traceable subnetworks must be updated if they are dirty. Both types of traces travel the network based on traversability. Terminal configurations influence these trace types.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Vikram -

Did you receive the following error?

Error 001797: No subnetwork controller was discovered.

If the starting point does not have traversability to the subnetwork controller the trace cannot be completed. 

The subnetwork controller is used to determine which direction from the starting point is upstream/downstream for the trace results.

Let me know if this page helps: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/utility-network/utility-network-trace-types.htm#ESRI_SEC... 

The upstream/downstream direction of a subnetwork is determined on the fly during a trace. This is done by discovering whether the domain network is source- or sink-based and by locating the subnetwork controllers. Upstream traces travel towards subnetwork controllers in source-based domain networks and away from subnetwork controllers in sink-based domain networks. Downstream traces travel away from subnetwork controllers in source-based domain networks and toward subnetwork controllers in sink-based domain networks.

Both of these trace types require a clean subnetwork. The traceable subnetworks must be updated if they are dirty. Both types of traces travel the network based on traversability. Terminal configurations influence these trace types.

VikramAundhekar
New Contributor II

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your response.

I am getting the same error as you mentioned. I gone through the page you suggested. My network is source based network. My actual concern is to find the failed device in my network. So if i am starting my network trace from last point towards source i.e. Upstream trace, it should stop at failed/open device without throwing any error. As per traversability conditions, if i am changing the device status from closed to open (instead of barrier on particular device point) then also trace is showing same error message.

Other traces like Downstream (with/without barrier), loop and other running fine on my network.

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Are you using feature barriers or dynamic barriers? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/utility-network/barriers.htm
There is no way to bypass traversability for physical barriers currently. The team has had discussions on how to resolve this type of situation.

Is there is an open device upstream that should be closed that you are trying to find it? If so, then using a condition barrier would not help since that would prevent traversability back to the source. You may want to try and use a filter barrier in addition to an output condition with device status = open. This should tell you what the open device is that needs to close.