Select to view content in your preferred language

When to create associations?

Jump to solution
05-15-2024 09:07 AM
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

At what point in a utility network implementation do you create associations between features, eg. make a substation a container which contains transformers, switches, and regulators?

I am currently mapping fields using a data loading workspace. As I understand it, my next step will be to load data into the asset package using the "Load data using workspace" tool. Then I will apply the asset package to a geodatabase using the "asset package to geodatabase" tool.

Should associations be set up before I run the "asset package to geodatabase" tool? 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

If you want to remove rules, I would the Export and Import Matrix tool in the Utility Network Data Management toolbox.  it would be easier to edit the spreadsheet used by these tools.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

Oh cool. So I can play around with enabling and disabling rules in my asset package by editing the Rule Matrix workbook and then importing the matrix into the asset package. 

At the bottom of this page, it says that if I remove a rule form the rules matrix, I still have to delete that rule from the asset package before I import the matrix. Why is this?

If I add a rule using the matrix (change cell value to 1), will I have to do anything to the asset package to enable that rule? 

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Here is a link that might help with the matrix usage.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

That statement only applies for using the matrix tool with a utility network, not an asset package.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

Okay thank you. Using "Import Matrix" on my asset package will take the place of  "Create Utility Network Associations", correct?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

No.  The creating the rules and creating the associations are two different things.  

Rules are what can be associated with what and how it is associated.  Associations are what is associated with what.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The C_Associations table.

0 Kudos