what is the benefit of Structure network

Jump to solution
01-16-2023 03:39 AM
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hi folks, I am learning about Utility Network. And I want to know what is the benefit for Structure network and when I have to use it?

I worked on ElectricUNFoundation solution from Esri. I search about Structure Network and I found out that.

StructureBoundary: it's for substations which can act as container. so it's useful to contain other features and reduce map noise.

StructureJunction: for poles which can include Structural Attachments, but then what is the benefit for that?

StructureLine, StructureEdgeObject, and StructureJunctionObject. I cannot figure out when I have to use them and their benefit? 

Even in Esri's solution it use StructureLine for too small area and low features count in comparison with ElectricLine (from Domain Network) in service territory as appeared in the following screenshot.

El_Saket_0-1673872118342.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

In Electric and communications, structures are often shared between two or more circuits.  If the pole where in the domain network, then the circuits would be tied together, causing toploogy errors from multfeed connectivity.  Being in the structure domain allows a pole to be shared between other domains and within the same domain.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

In Electric and communications, structures are often shared between two or more circuits.  If the pole where in the domain network, then the circuits would be tied together, causing toploogy errors from multfeed connectivity.  Being in the structure domain allows a pole to be shared between other domains and within the same domain.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @JohnAlsup, but can you give a real world example on the rest of features:

StructureLineStructureEdgeObject, and StructureJunctionObject

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

An example of a shared Structure Line feature could be Duct Bank, Trench or Span (section between two poles).  For Structure Edge Object, a Duct Bank could contain say 16 Ducts, which are non-spastial edges.  Each Duct could contain an Electric Cable or a Communications Cable.  (Please don't mix Gas and Electric in the same duct bank).  For Structure Junction Object, a customer may represent a Pole purley as a location of a Aerial Support Structure and then this feature could have an association to a Structure Junction Object that are the actual poles, crossarms, braces, pole hardware, that make up the Aerial Support Structure.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com