Utility Network Trace, Feature Selection

10-10-2023 01:10 PM
Ariggs
by
New Contributor III

Enterprise 11.1, Pro 3.1, Utility Network 6. 

Hi All,

I'm trying to run a connected trace to select all the fuses in my network (electric) and to also select all the poles associated with the fuse features and the assemblies/banks. I thought that specifying an output asset type and toggling "include containers" and "include structures" would do this, but the selection only returns the devices. I've tried specifying the asset type as an output condition rather than an output asset type, but that returns an empty output. Any insight as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ariggs_0-1696968417405.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
The output filter is only returning the items listed. What if you add the poles, banks, etc to the output filters
0 Kudos
Ariggs
by
New Contributor III

Hi Mike,

If I specify all these as outputs, it returns all the features in each of those asset types, not just the ones associated with the fuses. Is there a way to create conditional outputs without specifying barrier features?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to get all the poles attached to fuses in your entire network, the fastest and easiest way to achieve this would be to select all your fuses then use the "select associated data" tool to select all the containers and structures for those fuses. This is a new tool added in ArcGIS Pro 3.1, but if you are using ArcGIS Pro 2.9 you can download the add-in on this page of the community site to achieve the same behavior.

Ariggs
by
New Contributor III

Thank you! I didn't know about this tool as I just upgraded to 3.1.

0 Kudos
Ariggs
by
New Contributor III

I've been trying to accomplish this via Tracing because I'm trying to figure out what's possible with it-- I've seen utilizations that suggest it can be used as a complex configurable selection tool within the Utility Network. Below I have some screenshots of the same Filter Barrier (Using a network category to select the first feature that is part of "switching" and including structures and containers) run with the Isolation Trace and the Upstream trace. The Upstream trace includes the line and the Isolation trace does not despite having the same request for each. the only difference I could find in the code (also below) when I transferred these traces to modelbuilder and then to python was "trace_type="ISOLATION"" versus "trace_type="UPSTREAM"", which suggests some back-end configuration that is not editable that causes an Upstream trace to include the line.

What I'm asking is, why are there selection differences between the two with the same starting point and the same filter barrier, and is/are there documentation or blog posts or anything dealing with complex Traces and exploring what traces are capable of? I'm looking to get as deep of an understanding as possible.

Ariggs_0-1697124483524.pngAriggs_1-1697124490013.pngAriggs_2-1697124497800.png

0 Kudos