Select to view content in your preferred language

Utility Network separate server

Jump to solution
07-23-2024 01:42 PM
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I was told by a colleague at UC 2024 that they were told that a Utility Network should have its own stand alone server. Is this the case? I am looking at setting one up.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

That will depend on your workflows and user requirements. I recommend you familiarize yourself with the ArcGIS Architecture Center. Start by looking at the network management system reference architecture (especially the design decisions and considerations). You can then look at several test studies that were performed using this reference architecture to see how it performs under different scenarios, and use that to make informed decisions about your own design decisions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Best practice is for the database server for the enterprise geodatabase to be hosted in its own server and the ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal + Server) to be hosted on its own server, separate from the database server.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

That will depend on your workflows and user requirements. I recommend you familiarize yourself with the ArcGIS Architecture Center. Start by looking at the network management system reference architecture (especially the design decisions and considerations). You can then look at several test studies that were performed using this reference architecture to see how it performs under different scenarios, and use that to make informed decisions about your own design decisions.

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

@MarceloMarques  We have that set up already. Do we need to do anything special to the database server?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@RickeyFight - just the normal and regular recommended geodatabase maintenance tasks, e.g. gather new statistics and rebuild indexes often, and of course, always keep good database backups that you can use to restore the database in case of any problems.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
SamDeLore
Occasional Contributor

You don't need a UN server,

But I would highly recommend you implement one....

If you want to use the UN functionality, you're going to be using feature services with every feature class or table that participates in the UN at a minimum. That can get big depending on your Data Model / Network Domains.

Having a dedicated server that you can crank UN service instances up on is really useful, the SOCs can be slow to start if the services are big, so having dedicated servers & SOCs is important IMHO.

0 Kudos