Utility Network Preset Templates with Copy Parallel

3 weeks ago
CarrieSchmidt
New Contributor

I created a preset template (line with a junction at the beginning and end) but it does not appear in the Copy Parallel tool as a template option. This tool is extremely useful in our workflow. It would save time if we could use the preset template to copy junctions while also copying the lines at the same time. 

The preset template exists in the Line template section when I check Manage Template and Create Features. I am able to manually create features using this template. It just isn't showing up in the Copy Parallel tool.

Is this possible or is there a limitation of the Copy Parallel tool? If there is a tool limitation, is there a work around? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoaquinMadrid1
New Contributor III

If I understood correctly, I believe that the limitation is due to the fact that when you place the feature(s) from a Template in the map, the feature(s) "forget" that they came from a template, i.e., the template identity vanishes when the template feature(s) are placed.

For example, I could create a Preset Template for a PMH-9 Switchgear that contains all the necessary elements at the required level of detail and the corresponding geometry among those elements (bus bars, switches, fuses, fault indicators...). Immediately after placing the template in the map, and while it is still selected, I can still manipulate it as a single piece of equipment. However, as soon as they are de-selected, the components do not remember that they came "together", and become individual elements. (Of course, their inter-associations are maintained, but I cannot assume that because I want to move the Switchgear 10 feet north it is enough to grab one of the switches and the rest of the equipment will come along for the ride.)

0 Kudos