Select to view content in your preferred language

Understanding Structure Domain in A Multiple Domain UN

Jump to solution
10-10-2023 05:22 PM
RomaHicks
Occasional Contributor

Tangentially related to this question: Putting Water, Wastewater/Drainage all in One Util... - Esri Community

I am trying to understand how to reference the structural domain from other domains in other utility networks.

If I use an asset package to deploy a water utility network and a communications utility network but both share a common vault, where does the record of the vault live?  Does the vault live in the structure domain in both utility networks? That breaks the usefulness of databases in that we have to manage multiple records for the same structure. 

According to this answer, using a UN per domain is the preferred model. How do we handle common structures shared between UNs? Looking at the C_Association table in the Asset Package, I am uncertain how to include external tables to make the association on deployment.

Or is a common UN, with multiple domains within the only solution to my desire?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyRyanEQL
Frequent Contributor

Roma,

I believe it's one UN with multiple domains. I have implemented a UN with Electric & Communication domain along with the single structure domain. We have attachment associations to show which wire is attached to a crossarms (Structure Junction) which is attached to a pole (Structure Junction)

I assume your vault is probably going to be a Structure Boundary showing the size/shape and your water equipment will be contained (containment association) in it?

Good luck with your implementation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL
Frequent Contributor

Roma,

I believe it's one UN with multiple domains. I have implemented a UN with Electric & Communication domain along with the single structure domain. We have attachment associations to show which wire is attached to a crossarms (Structure Junction) which is attached to a pole (Structure Junction)

I assume your vault is probably going to be a Structure Boundary showing the size/shape and your water equipment will be contained (containment association) in it?

Good luck with your implementation

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038
Frequent Contributor

Multiple Domain Networks (one per theme) but only one Structure Network, then the challenge is how to effectively store/attribute very disparate asset types in the single Structure Network.

0 Kudos