Setting up a web feature with only certain asset groups

02-10-2021 08:51 AM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

I have an Sewer Utility Network built out and functioning.  I would like to set up a service that field user can collect data on certain types of asset types via collector.  For example I want them to collect service lines but not mains and on fittings I want them to collect 6 certain types but not the rest.  I have set up a map in pro linked directly to by SDE and set up templates for the assets I want them to track along with all the default values.  The ones that I want to track has them broke down by asset group and asset type.  The features that I don't want them to edit within that layer I just have them removed. However when I publish the feature service and test the map within portal, the Asset Types are showing as numbers instead of the descriptions.  For example a Commercial Service Connection has a 1 in Asset Type instead of Commercial and all the required fields that have defaults built into the layer and the template do automatically fill out.

If I test my Network Assembly that doesn't have any breakdown of layers and is being displayed as asset group only than I don't have this issue.  I would prefer for the ones they are collected to be broke down to asset group and asset type so the symbols are different and they just select the one they want from the add menu to keep things more streamlined.  Especially on the fittings they will only be needing to add 8 of 20 options.  I would have to scroll through a list of 20 to find just the one they want.

Is this possible?????

I have attached some screen shots of my setup

SewerPortalMap.pngSewerProProject.png.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Yes, I too observed this behaviour when symbology is based on anything other than assetgroup, the assettype comes as numbers and doesnt display the text. End user doesnt know what those numbers mean.

I found that for publishing feature service, it is best to leave the symbology based on assetgroup. If I dont want certain assetgroups, I use definition query in the map to filter them out or create multiple layers such as WaterValve, WaterPump etc out of WaterDevice. And I reset the feature creation templates accordingly. We need to do this any way due to the under-nomalised data model. This is in ArcGIS Pro or Portal Web Maps. I haven't tried with Collector just yet but I guess it is pretty much dictated by the web map used.

My guess for this behaviour is, because assettype has different domain for each assetgroup, using symbology based on anything other than assetgroup, the service definition JSON doesn't list domain values for every assetgroup. Hence the numeric code doesn't get converted to text. And I think it as a bug rather than a feature 🙂 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same behavior.  This tech support article sheds more light on it.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012344

One extremely cumbersome work around would be to add a def. query and then copy each layer and update/symbolize accordingly.  I'm going to keep looking into this as there has to be a better way forward.

0 Kudos
LindseyStone

How did you reset the feature creation templates?  I open my original service (the one I'm using in Pro) that is based of Asset Group only in a map in Portal.  I then did a filter in that web map to show just my service connections.  But when I go to the edit tab of the web map there is no way to update my templates.  Or were you doing this all in Pro before you published the feature service?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Lindsey,  Yes, I did all of the feature template creation in Pro however it was already done for me.  I used the map "Simple Sewer Network" in the Sewer Package.

I then just edited/sliced and diced what I didn't want in the Table of Contents.  Hit me up directly if you want to chat further!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think the solution is to use subtype group layers.

I used the Water Distribution Simple Network Map to test with and got good results.  It is contained within the Water Distribution Utility Network package you can download here.  Remove all of the subtypes you don't want and then make all of the fields visible in the layer.  If not, analyze will throw errors.  I tested mainly on service connections, but I think the same would hold true for fittings.  Just set a def query and remove the asset types you don't need.

I think there is an equivalent in Sewer==Sewer Simple Network.  The asset group is still a coded value but the end user can just select the asset group as their initial option to collect.  I tested in Collector and it worked well.  

I haven't tested default values yet, but I would imagine they would be tied directly to the field itself --I would imagine the subtype would be honored.  I don't THINK the edit feature template would be honored.  Try setting a default value directly on the field and see if it propagates over to Portal.  Just stop your service to free locks,  and update a default value.

Finally, if you want to set symbols yourself, to the right of the add data button is the Add Preset | Subtype Group Layer.  Use it to add data directly from SDE, then symbolize accordingly.

I hope this helps!

LindseyStone

So it looks to be close to what I want.  But I have a present status, current volume, and active volume status in sewer devices that don't seem to be filling out with the default value (these are required fields and all domain fields).  But the Terminal Configuration is filling out and so is Life Cycle Status and Owned and Maintained By with all their default domain fields.  Why would some of the default values fill out when creating new features and some not.  I checked the template variables in my Pro Project that I created the service off and these fields are defined in that.

0 Kudos