Modifying Component in Utility Network with Branch Versioned data

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 08:19 AM
Thom_Leeffers
New Contributor II

What I am wondering is, can you also modify components of the Utility Network (when allowed) while the data is (branch) versioned. Or do you need to unversion the data before applying those modifications?

On this page it is clearly explained how and when to modify Utility Network components, but I could not retrieve from this page if you can apply schema changes while the data is versioned: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/network-topology-actions.htm

I think this question is similar to this question asked about schema changes and branch versioning when working with Parcel Fabrics: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-parcel-fabric-questions/best-practices-for-parcel-fabric-schema...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi @Thom_Leeffers 

Many utility network configuration steps require working against a utility network with a disabled network topology (Add Rules, Add Network Attribute, etc.); however, unregistering data as branch versioned is not required.  The only operation that I can recall that ONLY works against a non-versioned dataset is Enable Network Topology (when using the Only generate errors option).  I'll see about getting a note added to clarify this exception.

In other cases, the "Versioned Data Required" column in the topic you referenced simply indicates whether it must be versioned or not.  There are many examples that will work regardless of the versioning status (i.e. No), while others require the data to be registered (i.e. Yes).  The reason for this is that many configuration steps may take place before registering your dataset as versioned.

- Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi @Thom_Leeffers 

Many utility network configuration steps require working against a utility network with a disabled network topology (Add Rules, Add Network Attribute, etc.); however, unregistering data as branch versioned is not required.  The only operation that I can recall that ONLY works against a non-versioned dataset is Enable Network Topology (when using the Only generate errors option).  I'll see about getting a note added to clarify this exception.

In other cases, the "Versioned Data Required" column in the topic you referenced simply indicates whether it must be versioned or not.  There are many examples that will work regardless of the versioning status (i.e. No), while others require the data to be registered (i.e. Yes).  The reason for this is that many configuration steps may take place before registering your dataset as versioned.

- Jon

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Everything Jon said, but as with traditional versioning you would want to collapse any open version and re open if you added a field or domain value etc.  I've never had a problem updating the schema while the data is branch versioned.

DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

In the same line as the previous comments, I have an UNM branch versioned database which I've just done some schema changes against it (i.e. assignment of Domain Attributes, Add Fields etc). No issues there, I was able to make these changes without the need to un-version the data.

Thom_Leeffers
New Contributor II

Thank you for your anwers. It is good to know that schema changes are possible without unversioning the data. In that way you don't loose the history, which is lost we you unversion your data).

What will be a challenge is to get all versions posted before applying schema changes, but that is not different to the situation is with traditional versioning.

0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

@Thom_Leeffers   Just to clarify, you should not need to unversion your data or "flatten your versioning tree" to make schema changes, add rules, etc.  While removing existing named versions to add rules, etc. may be completed as a best practice to prevent the need for additional steps to be performed with each existing version...it is not required.  The schema of the data itself is not versioned, and (as an example) any rules that are added to the Default version would be pulled into the named version through a reconcile.

Here's a KB in ref to versioning of table schema (older but remains relevant with branch):  https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000008159

JonDeRose_1-1616079059277.png

• We will investigate methods to clarify this further in our documentation.

Here is a doc reference regarding rule modifications wrt deletion:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/delete-a-connectivity-or-associat...

JonDeRose_0-1616078911447.png

- Jon

Thom_Leeffers
New Contributor II

Thanks, I didn't know that. We will certainly test if that works for us, performing a schema change without flattening our versioning tree.

0 Kudos