Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrate sample water utility data to Esri Utility Network

Jump to solution
08-30-2022 10:39 PM
mmarigmen
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

We are trying to test migrate a small aoi of a water utility client to ArcGIS Utility Network schema, using data loading tools.

We are now matching the target (Esri asset package) and source (client data) fields in the Data Loading Workspace excel file, but we have some clarifications on how to address the differences in these fields and their domain values:

•  the Source subtype does not have the same values as the Target subtypes (some totally different, some have more or less values)
    • when do update the subtype values? After loading the asset package in the Enterprise database?
  • the Source subtype (in mm) does not have the same unit of measurement as the Target subtypes (in inches)
    • is it ok to just convert the values in the Target subtypes to match the values in the Source subtypes after the data loading process?
  • in what data loading step is it ok to modify the Esri asset package domain/subtype values in order to accommodate the Source data domain/subtype values?

Thanks in advance to those who are able to enlighten us.

@KarenLandicho @klandicho @klandichoph 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Subtypes - You can translates the source subtypes to match the target subtypes as part of the migration.  If you cannot find a match for a source subtype, it will need to be added to the target model, which means you need to add rules and update the subnetwork definition.  It would be good to get the list of values that do not have a match in the Asset Package so we can evaluate adding them to a future release

Unit of Measure - I would add a new field and new domain for the metric units or modify the domain of target asset package to represent the metric units and map that data to that field.  I would do this prior to loading data

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Subtypes - You can translates the source subtypes to match the target subtypes as part of the migration.  If you cannot find a match for a source subtype, it will need to be added to the target model, which means you need to add rules and update the subnetwork definition.  It would be good to get the list of values that do not have a match in the Asset Package so we can evaluate adding them to a future release

Unit of Measure - I would add a new field and new domain for the metric units or modify the domain of target asset package to represent the metric units and map that data to that field.  I would do this prior to loading data

mmarigmen
Emerging Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Will take note of these. We will probably have more clarifications along the way as we are still in the initial stages of test migration, and it's our first time to migrate data to UN. 

We might be updating this thread from time to time if we encounter some troubles. Thank you! 

0 Kudos