Isolation Trace Filter Barriers to not include open inoperable valves

Jump to solution
08-24-2022 12:13 PM
LoriRadunzel-Davis
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am attempting to set up an isolation trace to use if there is a line break in our water network.  I have it working as desired with the following exception, I would like a valve that is not operable and open to NOT be a barrier, since it would not be able to be closed to isolate a leak.  I have set the Filter barriers to include Operable is equal to True, but when I am testing a valve that has Operable = False keeps getting selected.  This is true also if I specify Operable = True AND Category = Isolating.  Is there some way to do this or is that fact that valves are all designated as Isolating or something else preventing this?

Condition barriers include Device Status = Closed or Lifecycle Status not equal to In Service, neither of which apply to this particular valve I'm testing with.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I was able to get this to work by adding two filter barriers (operable = true and category=isolating), the key thing was I needed to set the "combine using" to be AND, otherwise the inoperable valve was still being considered because of its isolating category.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I was able to get this to work by adding two filter barriers (operable = true and category=isolating), the key thing was I needed to set the "combine using" to be AND, otherwise the inoperable valve was still being considered because of its isolating category.

0 Kudos
LoriRadunzel-Davis
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply Robert.  I had tried that repeatedly without the correct result.  After your reply I did again with both Pro 2.7.0 and Pro 2.6.7 with no success.  I am using UN version 4.  I noticed you had some different selection boxes, so maybe the version I am using is having an influence.

0 Kudos
jclarke
New Contributor III

You could try the Naperville UN Water Distribution solution to see if it works for you with your setup. It has Operable as a network attribute so it should be a quick test. You would need to download the older one compatible with Pro 2.6 and UN schema 4. I think this is the one.

Beyond that I would suggest trying a simpler trace with just Operable as a filter barrier - just to learn where it might be going wrong.

0 Kudos
LoriRadunzel-Davis
New Contributor III

Thank you for your suggestion.  I didn't think of trying it on a different dataset.  I had a copy of the Naperville data downloaded already.  It worked on that.  I found that having to uncheck the Validate Consistency option was causing the problem.  I have to uncheck it to work on our water system, since there are almost always dirty areas with so many users collecting and editing data.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad to hear it worked! Strategies for keeping dirty areas in check is a good topic for a different thread 🙂

0 Kudos