Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to define subnetwork controllers for different tiers for the terminals of a device?

Jump to solution
02-08-2024 04:49 AM
DanielleNeufelt
New Contributor

A subnetwork controller is defined on a terminal of a controller device (or JunctionObject).  It should therefore be possible to create different subnetworks for different terminals with the same controller device.

A practical example is the multi-winding transformer: it is transformed from the primary side into a secondary and a tertiary side. Different voltages can be produced on the secondary and tertiary sides. The different voltages can also be assigned to different grid levels. For example, a multi-winding transformer with a high voltage input (primary) can transform to medium voltage (secondary) and to low voltage (tertiary). In this example, it should be possible to define a subnetwork for the "medium-voltage distribution" tier on the secondary terminal side of the transformer, and a subnetwork for the "low-voltage distribution" tier on the tertiary side of the transformer.

It is currently not technically possible to define the terminals of a control device as subnetwork controllers of different tiers (in our example for "medium-voltage distribution" and "low-voltage distribution").

This should be possible, as in the documentation (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/subnetwork-controller.htm) it says: "A single device or junction object can have multiple terminals that are defined as subnetwork controllers."

How would you recommend we define the case described above?  Are further developments planned in this area of terminals and subnetworks?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

That error is expected.  A controller cannot control subnetworks on different tiers.  You can work around it by adding contained and connected units and use them as your controller.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeMillerGIS

You can define the controller on Junction Objects(windings) that are contained in the transformer and it will allow this device to control subnetworks in different tiers.  The windings are contained in the device and one is connected to the devices high and secondary and the other is connected to the high and tertiary.  

0 Kudos
DanielleNeufelt
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

In this scenario your device (or junction object) would need to have three terminals: one for the primary side (the upstream terminal), one terminal for the secondary side, and one terminal for the tertiary side. You would then need to configure that transformer's asset type to be a subnetwork controller for both the distribution tier and secondary tier. The "Station Three Winding - HV->MV-LV" in the latest electric model is pretty close to having this configuration, it just hasn't been configured to be a subnetwork controller for any tiers (and requires the subnetwork controller category).

Once you've configured the transformer for this you will see both terminals in the modify subnetwork controller dialog. You would select the distribution tier and secondary terminal to create your MV subnetwork, then you would select your secondary tier and tertiary terminal to create your LV subnetwork.

0 Kudos
DanielleNeufelt
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer. I tried it that way. I select the secondary terminal and distribution tier to create the MV subnetwork. I encounter however a problem in defining the tertiary terminal for the LV subnetwork as subnetwork controller. I get following error message:

DanielleNeufelt_0-1707407475220.png

DanielleNeufelt_1-1707407475225.png

Does the fact, that I have a hierarchical network and not a partitionned network, plays a role in that behaviour? Would it be different if I had a partitioned network?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

That error is expected.  A controller cannot control subnetworks on different tiers.  You can work around it by adding contained and connected units and use them as your controller.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@MikeMillerGIS ah that's right. So you would create separate winding junction objects contained in the transformer and set up each winding junction object as a controller for the corresponding tier.

0 Kudos