How to migrate GN system junctions to Electric UN Foundation Model

Jump to solution
02-12-2024 01:25 AM
BogdanHristozov
New Contributor III

Hello,

we are running a pilot project for migrating our current data model (using geometric network) to Electric Utility Network Foundation Model. In our source data we have drawn complex station and cabinet internal line schematics and we now struggle with finding the correct target asset groups and asset types for the system geometric network junctions (Electric_Net_Junction class). 

Here is an example picture for a cabinet station and how it looks in the source and target model:

BogdanHristozov_0-1707728289707.png

I'm currently migrating ALL system Electric_Net_Junction objects to a Low Voltage Connection Point/AC Busbar Tab LV and ALL InternalConnecting lines to Low Voltage Connector/AC Connector LV, but after I enable the network topology large amount of errors is generated - "36: Line feature has invalid terminal". I suppose the targets for the system junctions and internal lines is not correct and the Modify Terminal Connections tool cannot calculate the correct terminals.

These are the migration steps:

1. Run data loading tools
  2. Run Modify Terminal Connections GP tool
  3. Create a FGDB from the asset package
  4. Enable Network Topology

How can I fix the error 36 in my target model? Editing the source data will be too difficult, because the amount of stations and LV cabinets with internal line schematics is too big and this process will take a lot of  time. What should be the correct targets in the UN model?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You don't need to explicitly map your default network junctions from your utility network into features of the utility network, they system will automatically create system junctions for these locations in a hidden system table. The only time you need to worry about migrating these features is when they represent real-world features or when they represent the connections between two lines that have a different asset type. In those cases, the type of junction you create will depend on the types of lines being connected (e.g. overhead to underground gets a riser or tap).

The terminal error you are seeing is because you have said that the features on either end of the line have a 'CB:Bus Side' terminal, when actually the end of the line that has a connector on it should have the default value of None. The modify terminal tool will not let you manually populate an invalid value like this, so it may be that you have some script or workbench that is setting these values (or you are splitting lines after setting terminals)?

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you share a screen shot of the line attributes, what are the fromterminal/toterminal values?  ElectricJunctions are only single terminal, so maybe something got set on the line that should not be set.

0 Kudos
BogdanHristozov
New Contributor III

Hello,

here is one of the Low Voltage Connector Lines:

BogdanHristozov_0-1707812485414.png

There is a Low Voltage Line End Terminator (OID 42) at the bottom end and a Low Voltage Circuit Breaker at the top end. All three elements generate the same error: "36: Line feature has invalid terminal".

Low Voltage Connector/AC Connector LV attributes:

BogdanHristozov_4-1707813804672.png

Low Voltage Circuit Breaker/AC Circuit Breaker LV attributes:

BogdanHristozov_1-1707813613544.png

Low Voltage Line End/AC Underground Terminator LV attributes:

BogdanHristozov_2-1707813689643.png

The fromterminal/toterminal values are not populated during the migration but after that using the Modify Terminal Connections tool. I'm not sure when should this tool be executed. I tried running it in the asset package before creating and enabling the network topology and after I enable it, but the results are the same.

I'm now thinking whether this has something to do with the phase designation fields. I'm still not migrating these values from our source data. I'll map the values and make another migration to check if that will help.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

That connector should connect to the line /bus side of the Circuit Breaker, you need to add a rule to allow that.  How the from and to values are getting populated, I am not sure.  I cannot imagine the assign terminal tool is doing it, as it uses the rules, but there could be a bug.  I will try to repo

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

I could not repo your issue with the Assign Terminals Tool.  What other processes are you running in your conversion?  

0 Kudos
BogdanHristozov
New Contributor III

Here are the steps I execute:

1. Run Data Loading Tools (from and to values are left empty in the data loading worksheets)
  2. Run Modify Terminal Connections tool (this is run inside the asset package where the data is loaded in step 1) - parameters: honor_direction="USE_DIGITIZED", keep_existing="KEEP_VALUES"
  3. Run Asset Package to FileGeodatabase tool - parametersload_data="INCLUDE_DATA", post_process="DO_NOT_POST_PROCESS"
  4. Run Enable Network Topology tool
  5. Check the generated errors
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

ok, I ran it on the Utility Network, let me try on the asset package

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You don't need to explicitly map your default network junctions from your utility network into features of the utility network, they system will automatically create system junctions for these locations in a hidden system table. The only time you need to worry about migrating these features is when they represent real-world features or when they represent the connections between two lines that have a different asset type. In those cases, the type of junction you create will depend on the types of lines being connected (e.g. overhead to underground gets a riser or tap).

The terminal error you are seeing is because you have said that the features on either end of the line have a 'CB:Bus Side' terminal, when actually the end of the line that has a connector on it should have the default value of None. The modify terminal tool will not let you manually populate an invalid value like this, so it may be that you have some script or workbench that is setting these values (or you are splitting lines after setting terminals)?

BogdanHristozov
New Contributor III

This is something I did not try. I've spend a lot of time figuring out how to migrate the system junctions from our geometric network to the UN model, because I thought I need to migrate these features... For sure it makes a lot of sense to migrate only the system junctions I need to - where they connect different line features. Thank you for this, it makes the migration even simpler. 

I don't run any custom tool or script for manipulating the geometries (splitting the lines) or calculating the from/to terminal values. The main goal of our project is to make a migration using ESRI provided tools - Data Loading Tools (in particular), Modify Terminal Connections etc. and to make an assessment what is the quality of the source data and the results we get after the migration.

I'll make more tests after removing the unnecessary system junctions from the migration.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
BogdanHristozov
New Contributor III

I've updated the migration scripts and removed the system junction features (they are migrated only in case they connect lines with different types) and most of the errors are now gone. What I've also changed is to run the Modify Terminal Connections tool inside the utility network instead of running it in the asset package. I presume that after the UN is enabled the UN system junctions are created and the terminals are calculated correctly by this tool.

There is one strange situation where I'm stuck with fixing the error. One device is reported with error 9: More than one junction edge rule applicable. I think the terminal are correctly set for the lines, but the error is still generated for the Low Voltage Fuse.

BogdanHristozov_0-1707919957606.png

What could be wrong in this case? 

0 Kudos