Select to view content in your preferred language

How to create proper connectivity without errors

Jump to solution
07-31-2024 01:33 PM
SimonKerkhof
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I am having some troubles with creating a functional electric utility network. I will describe my process up until this point. 

I have csv files with my distribution network data, I have developed a python script that creates a join between the individual files to connect them spatially. This information comes from the nodes file (power poles), the script then converts the data into point and polyline feature classes and into a geodatabase. This all looks good and mirrors other cad models of the same data. UTM Projection is set for the geodatabase, map and the asset package. The script then creates a data loading workspace with mapping as stated below:

Nodes > Structure Junction

Nodes > Electric Junction

Transformers, Protections, Generation, Battery, etc > Electric Devices

Transmission Lines > Electric Lines

Transmission Lines > Structure Lines

I have been trying to figure out how I need to map my data in order to create successful connectivity. So far, I have tried a few different combinations of mapping fields and entering coded values for domains and association status. When I load my data and create a service territory, I then use geoprocessing tools (asset package to geodatabase, update data source and delete un_temp files) this all creates the utility network. 

So... essentially everything has invalid connectivity with red zones.

Error Codes: 8, 9, 25, 37

Please can someone help me understand how I am supposed to actually map the important connectivity fields. Almost all resources online are big picture, but I want to find specifics of what should be connected to what.

Also, I am a student working a co-op trying to figure this out for my research institute. Not a Professional engineer.

Any and all information will be helpful, I will add some pictures to show what I know so far and my project with the map hidden out of privacy caution. 

GUID-FDB46AA3-7B32-47B7-B2AC-3B15D98B443E-web.pngScreenshot 2024-07-31 132115.jpg63127921-86c3e580-bf68-11e9-9400-b33227ef532d.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You can find the definitions of all the error codes in the online help here: Errors—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Some general resources you can use to get up to speed on the UN for electric: Learn ArcGIS Utility Network for Electric Utilities

Here's an article that provides more details about those error numbers specific to the electric industry: Electric Topology Errors

For a better overview of the number of errors I recommend running the Summarize Utility Network Errors tool that was included in the utility network foundation project you downloaded (its part of the Utility Data Management Support Tools).

The two errors to start with are your type 25 errors (stacked points) and your type 37 errors (subnetwork tap). These are likely responsible for many of your other errors.

For the stacked point features, you can't have multiple devices at the same xy location. If these are duplicate features, delete all but the correct feature. If these are devices co-located at a structure, you will need to offset them in your map while still maintaining proper connectivity to lines.

For the subnetwork tap errors, those features have a special configuration that restricts how they are allowed to be connected to lines (learn more about subnetwork taps). You can either edit all those features to meet the new drawing requirements or you can remove the subnetwork tap category from them. Doing the latter will limit some of the functionality for those features, but if this is all transmission features you're modeling I wouldn't worry about it too much (subnetwork taps are typically used to handle single phase taps in unbalanced model).

Type 25 and type 37 errors will cause the system to also generate a lot of type 8 and 9 errors, so once you cleared up all the 25s and 37s, you'll be in a better place to understand the remaining errors.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You can find the definitions of all the error codes in the online help here: Errors—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Some general resources you can use to get up to speed on the UN for electric: Learn ArcGIS Utility Network for Electric Utilities

Here's an article that provides more details about those error numbers specific to the electric industry: Electric Topology Errors

For a better overview of the number of errors I recommend running the Summarize Utility Network Errors tool that was included in the utility network foundation project you downloaded (its part of the Utility Data Management Support Tools).

The two errors to start with are your type 25 errors (stacked points) and your type 37 errors (subnetwork tap). These are likely responsible for many of your other errors.

For the stacked point features, you can't have multiple devices at the same xy location. If these are duplicate features, delete all but the correct feature. If these are devices co-located at a structure, you will need to offset them in your map while still maintaining proper connectivity to lines.

For the subnetwork tap errors, those features have a special configuration that restricts how they are allowed to be connected to lines (learn more about subnetwork taps). You can either edit all those features to meet the new drawing requirements or you can remove the subnetwork tap category from them. Doing the latter will limit some of the functionality for those features, but if this is all transmission features you're modeling I wouldn't worry about it too much (subnetwork taps are typically used to handle single phase taps in unbalanced model).

Type 25 and type 37 errors will cause the system to also generate a lot of type 8 and 9 errors, so once you cleared up all the 25s and 37s, you'll be in a better place to understand the remaining errors.

SimonKerkhof
Occasional Contributor

So, I altered my code to create an offset of my features that would share spatial information like power poles, transformers and switches etc. This has cleared up all of the stacked features error 25. I am wondering if you wouldn't mind explaining further how I can remove the subnetwork tap category? to clear the 37 code error. I also have tried to modify some associations, and I keep getting the message no valid attachments were selected, or something similar. I tried to attach a mv transformer (electric device) to a mv power pole (structure junction). I have also tried to create connectivity between the mv transformer (electric device) and a medium voltage connection point (electric junction). Maybe I am misunderstanding how pieces are supposed to connect, I am having troubles finding simple and clear information defining the relationships between all these features.

Any and all help would be appreciated, I will also dive further into the resources you have provided. 

Thank you again for your help!

SimonKerkhof
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! I will try all of your suggestions and see if that resolves my issues 

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You use the Set Network Category gp tool to modify the network categories (including Subnetwork Tap) on an asset type. You can read more about that here: Set or modify a network category assignment—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.

The Try ArcGIS Utility Network tutorial includes examples that show you how to create associations between features.

If you're getting an error about attachment being invalid, or not being ablet to create attachments because they're invalid that means that the two asset types you're trying to associate with each other don't have a rule that allow for that. Your equipment may have been converted with the wrong asset type, or if you really want those two asset types to connect you can add a new rule. These kinds of errors are covered in tutorials in the editing and connectivity series and there are some electric specific examples in the Learn ArcGIS Utility Network for Electric Utilities series.

In the case of creating connectivity between a transformer and a connection point, is there a reason why you can't use an electric line to model that connectivity and you need to use an association? Your original post said that you were modelling transmission data, so you should only need to use a connectivity association to model the connectivity between a transformer and a connection point if you are creating a transformer inside an assembly.

SimonKerkhof
Occasional Contributor

I see, thank you for the clarity. I was just getting confused with how connections were supposed to be made in the utility network model. 

jennsmith_ElectricUN
Emerging Contributor

Hi Simon, 

I would also consider reviewing your utility network rules. In Pro, just right click on the Utility Network (network layer) and dig into the Network Properties. It will tell you the rules you have set up to control connectivity in your data model (even if you used the ESRI solution as a starting point). You can also view the network categories here. You're on the right track - these are the most common errors in the beginning phases of UN development. Good Luck!

SimonKerkhof
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jennsmith, RobertKrisher

I have resolved all of my errors now; However, I am looking into automating all the connectivity and associations. Would you be able to explain how the Assetgroup_ATTACHREL Relationship classes work in the electric utility network asset package? I am assuming that I need to populate these to create an automated association. I am also wondering how I can create the associations and connectivity during the data mapping process, I am trying to create a streamlined process for my research organization by the end of the summer. 

Screenshot 2024-08-09 085626.jpg

I appreciate any help that you can provide, Thank you!

jennsmith_ElectricUN
Emerging Contributor

I think you have two paths to automate associations depending on your own skill sets (1) Python workflows and custom tooling or (2) FME. We've used both. But essentially, you'll need to create an associations table to load/import into the utility network. How you accomplish that is up to you. We've found that using Feature Manipulation Editor (FME) we can generate the relationships of containment, attachment, connectivity, and containment. Depending on the number of features and complexity of the model you can also do this spatially. For example, we automated creating, containing, and connecting roughly 30,000 services points last year using FME. We have close to 98% customer connectivity for our single phase residential customers. 

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The *_ATTACHREL relationships are relationships to file attachments and are unrelated to the attachment associations used by the utility network. If you populate the C_Associations table in the asset package it will load those associations into the UN when you deploy it.